Thread: Suggest Media Player for BT4

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Default Suggest Media Player for BT4

What do you think is the best media player for Linux? Under my current Xubuntu installation, I've got about 5 different players, and none of them play videos as smoothly as Microsoft Windows Media Player (it's especially noticeable when playing DVD's).

My primary concern in choosing a media player is one that plays video and sound smoothly (when I play a DVD under Linux, I get horizontal clipping lines, but it's perfectly smooth under MS Windows Media Player). The secondary concern would be having a convenient interface but that's not a big deal.

So any ideas? Would you suggest using one program for both audio and video, or separate players for audio and video?

If we can decide on a good media player, I'll add it to my list of "good programs for Linux", so it will be included in my little program for beefing up Backtrack 4.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Try VLC, install graphic (GFX) drivers. Make sure to set them correctly up.

(Yes most advanced players has options to set deinterlace etc).
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

I use VLC for WMV files and Totem for just about every other video type. The combination generally works pretty well.

I forget where it is set exactly (Im not at the right machine at the moment), but there is an option to set the cache size in Totem which when set to an appropriately high level can smooth out certain choppy playback issues.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    I use VLC for WMV files and Totem for just about every other video type. The combination generally works pretty well.

I forget where it is set exactly (Im not at the right machine at the moment), but there is an option to set the cache size in Totem which when set to an appropriately high level can smooth out certain choppy playback issues.
    I like VLC for other repos but the problem with BT is that I am always in root (yeah bad idea but this is an "attack" repo) and VLC only lets non root users use it. I kind of got around this problem by using my browers to view videos etc. Maybe I missed somthing. I sure hope I did.

All the best
    onryo
    Let me explain officer, I am not a hacker. I am a security tester of sorts!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onryo View Post
    VLC only lets non root users use it. I kind of got around this problem by using my browers to view videos etc. Maybe I missed somthing. I sure hope I did.
    I told you the answer to this in another thread already, so yes you did miss something.
    add --enable-run-as-root flag to ./configure and then recompile.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Good friend of the forums

apt-get install xine-ui or apt-get install vlc. That would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    I told you the answer to this in another thread already, so yes you did miss something.
    add --enable-run-as-root flag to ./configure and then recompile.
    I missed that thread, but all the same I am happy as frog shit to hear this! Going to try it out right now. Thx archangel.amael!

All the best
    onryo
    Let me explain officer, I am not a hacker. I am a security tester of sorts!