Thread: Prevent Mounting of NTFS drives?

Default Prevent Mounting of NTFS drives?

So I have BT3 setup on a USB key with persistent changes (per the wiki article). Is there a way to prevent it from automatically mounting the internal NTFS hard drive?

(I don't care is someone manually mounts it later but I don't want it mounted by default at boot time).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

I know I can edit /etc/fstab. Unfortunately this doesn't really work. I have a bunch of USB keys to be used in a class where I won't control the machines the USB keys are used on (i.e.: variable drive/partition setups). Therefore I'm looking for a way to control how things are added to fstab when it's generated at start up.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Good friend of the forums

*boot with changes and edit /etc/fstab
    *uncleanly mounted ntfs volumes will not auto mout
    *also if you crypted the partiton too

As I said editing /etc/fstab isn't sufficient as the single ntfs partition on my system may not be the same as the multiple drives/partitions on someone else's system.

I need to find what controls the parameters which are used when things are added to fstab.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

boot cheat code bt nohd will prevent it from being mounted during boot and will allow it to be booted at a later time.
    Other than that you can look at the hal daemon and fstab-sync. fstab-sync controls what gets added to fstab but it is generally not recommended to change it manually.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.