Thread: Alfa AWUS036H and VMware with wicd

Hybrid View

Default Alfa AWUS036H and VMware with wicd

I’m running BT4 final on VMware Player 3.0.1. The host is Windows 7. The host is running through a LAN cable. I have my USB Alfa AWUS036H plugged in. Then a quick /etc/init.d/wicd start and then start the wicd GUI in BT4 Final.

For some reason wicd won't list any APs.Tried iwconfig and see that indeed wlan0 was up. Tried airmon-ng to make sure the right driver was listed (rtl8187).It was. OK tried airmon-ng start wlan0 -> airodump-ng mon0. Yup could see a list of 83 wifi APs in airodump-ng. *scratching head* Tried rmmod rtl8187 and then modprob rtl8187 and then unplugging and plugging the Alfa. I have been using the same Alfa for years with BT. Just not in a VM. Anybody have any ideas?

Onryo

Default Re: Alfa AWUS036H and VMware with wicd

Are you starting wicd before you enter startx or after?

You are now the 4th or 5th person in the last couple of days to make this complaint. I couldnt get it to even connect to unsecured AP's. It would tell the network has encryption and needs a key.

It seems to occur when I start wicd at the initial prompt. If I wait, and start wicd in a console after I enter the KDE, it seems fine. Tell me if its the same for you.

OK I closed the vm and took a good look at the Windows 7 host. The LAN connection is on and working fine for the host. The VMnet1 and VMnet8 are also listed. All are enabled. Start startx then /etc/init.d/wicd then the wicd client. This time for some reason I can see the APs around me but the list is not very big. When I connect to the USB Alfa the connection is ultra slow to the wifi AP. The IP is not the same one to the LAN just as I wanted it to be. Thinking maybe I should try the r8187 drivers. I used to like them. Wondering if the kernel in BT4 final does not like the rtl8187. Any ideas?

Hi,

I have tried to plug the RTL8187 in the BT4 final VMware and I can confirm it is very very slow. It is not possible to work with such a card in WMware.
    Maybe the best think to do is to install the RTL8187 linux drivers as you said...
    Anyway I looked at the Realteak web site but I did not find the pure RTL8187 linux drivers without any letter at the end. There are only RTL8187L RTL8187SE... so if you reach to find the pure RTL8187 let me know I want to try to install it as well.

I have to say also that in the BT4 mounted in the HD the RT card work fine even thought if the AP shown in wicd is at 50 - 60% the connection is not very good and I have to disconnect and connect again a lot of times to get internet up and running.
    Are you facing the same problem?

I didnt realize you were running it in a VM. Perhaps the bridged connection doesnt function that well, or you didnt choose bridged connection.

I have BT set up in a VM on my desktop, but havent had a chance to try it with my ALFA. Being in the basement also makest reception to neighboring networks very poor.

Hi,

I found in some treath that BT4 already mount both RTL8187 and R8187 modules.
    I have tried to set up the RTL card in BT4 in the HDD by the command

modprobe rtl8187

or

modprobe r8187

but no results in the performances....if the AP shown in wicd is at 50-60% always the connection is not working properly...up and down..

here some good link:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...track-4-a.html

TUTORIAL: Installing drivers RTL8187, r8187, RT2800usb on UBUNTU 8.10/9.04

Let me know if you are facing the same problem...

I finally got to play with my ALFA in VM.

I had to set the connection type to NAT. Every time I used bridged it would give me errors and unconnect it. I had it in my basement, and a variety of networks show up.

Hope this helps