Thread: Other pen testing OS's

Default Other pen testing OS's

Has anyone looked into other pen testing OS's such as KnoppixSTD, PHLAK, or Nubuntu? if so what were your experiences with them, what sort of pro's and cons did they have and how do they compare to BT?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalpsycho View Post
    Has anyone looked into other pen testing OS's such as KnoppixSTD, PHLAK, or Nubuntu? if so what were your experiences with them, what sort of pro's and cons did they have and how do they compare to BT?
    They suck.
    Nubuntu was last released as a beta on 12/17/2008 and it seems that there has been nothing new or updated since 2008
    phlak is old and as such outdated. I don't even think it's supported anymore
    knoppixstd is a std.
    From their website: "it is a collection of hundreds if not thousands of open source security tools." The dev's don't even know what is on the distro apparently. The best news from the website for this year is a new hosting mirror. Prior to that 2feb2005: "new version of STD will be released by end Q1 2005"
    Hope that helps.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

There are a few other new LiveCD's which might be interesting:
    Samurai (i think it's a web pentest cd) and
    OSWA (a wireless hax0r auditing cd, or whatever you want to call it)

However, BackTrack should do the job anyways! What's in BackTrack
    is usually included in any other LiveCD. Okay perhaps Nessus is one
    little exception, but the rest should be included
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Developer

There is kcpentrix for people who still like slax but in my experience no other security distro is maintained like backtrack.

One of the major reasons for going to a debian base was to be able to update via repo AND if there are tools which do not make it onto the "base" .iso we can put them in the repo for any one to download. This will make backtrack the best and most customizable security distro around. There are tons of exciting things coming up soon for backtrack so stay tuned.

Just a side note. The list of tools is only as good as the users request so if you see a new tool let us know. As much as we try it is impossible for us to know about every new tool or every new update there is so we need community help.