Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bridging the school connection to our apparetement with a yagi antenna

Just burned his ISO

Default Bridging the school connection to our apparetement with a yagi antenna

Hey guys

I'm a student at the Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal and I have a loggin for a VPN. I live on a street not so far away, i rent an apartment and I have access to the roof. I tough that it would be possible to pick up the signal from the apartment. Then I tougth that maybe it would not be legal so I asked a teacher. He teaches digital signals. He said it's perfectly legal, then we started calculate how much power gain we needed. We presumed normal whether condition (20C, 101.3 kPa, 0% hum) and we find out that we needed a 50db boast. Since it's far sight, I'm pretty confidant with the computation. So I looked over the internet and I found a nice Yagi antena, perfect for the situation because its directionnal (ach-te-te-pee://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-24dbi-Yagi-Antenna-802-11-Wireless-Wifi-2-4ghz_W0QQitemZ170250988771QQihZ007QQcategoryZ67250 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). So there come my questions: there is other students in the apartment that would like to use the connection. So I was thinking if i could use my Xubuntu server to capture the signal then have an output thought the eth0 interface to a wireless router so we can encrypt the signal with WPA2.

Scheme:
    POLY-->(VPN)-->Long range(~1-2km)-->Yagi Antena-->Ubuntu Server-->eth0-->Wireless Router-->(WPA2)-->Students

Is it possible ???

everything is possible
    all you need to do is set up a lan network (you and the other students), and set up routing.
    But I dont think the AP from your school will be able to hear your signal, its a very long distance. Anyway, it's up to you to determine that, but sharing the vpn connection within your lan is pretty easy..
    -Google is watching you

-June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches."

Quote Originally Posted by MasGui View Post
    ... we started calculate how much power gain we needed. We presumed normal whether condition (20C, 101.3 kPa, 0% hum) and we find out that we needed a 50db boast. Since it's far sight, I'm pretty confidant with the computation. ...

Scheme:
    POLY-->(VPN)-->Long range(~1-2km)-->Yagi Antena-->Ubuntu Server-->eth0-->Wireless Router-->(WPA2)-->Students

Is it possible ???
    I am NOT confident of you computations. Atmospheric conditions are the least influencing factor, yet that is all you directly mention. Things that are more critical are the distance, the power of the transmitter, the gain of the receiving antenna, and finally whether is RF Line of Sight (including the Fresnel Zone) or merely visual Line of Sight.

Quote Originally Posted by aggtrfrad View Post
    But I dont think the AP from your school will be able to hear your signal, its a very long distance.
    Actually 1 to 2 km is not hard to do. I've done some links over 10km. What is critical is computing the correct link budget.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

I just can't do it, Captain. I don't have the power!
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

From my understanding, the aforementioned antenna's output is USB. Using my Ubuntu server, I would like to dispatch the signal through a router to my various accomplices. Therefore my questions would be: is it possible to send the signal received from USB through my computer to my router and, if it is, how would one output the "starting to get mentioned a little too often" signal?

Regarding the computations, truth be told, I've postponed them to a later time. I will further them, but I consider my current question to be more important, for now.

On a final note, the link budget is not a problem, we intend on splitting the bill.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

On a final note, the link budget is not a problem, we intend on splitting the bill.
    This statement alone means you haven't done sufficient research to even begin contemplating doing this.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

From my understanding, the aforementioned antenna's output is USB. Using my Ubuntu server, I would like to dispatch the signal through a router to my various accomplices. Therefore my questions would be: is it possible to send the signal received from USB through my computer to my router and, if it is, how would one output the "starting to get mentioned a little too often" signal?

Regarding the computations, truth be told, I've postponed them to a later time. I will further them, but I consider my current question to be more important, for now.

Has absolutely nothing to do with money. You need to read this and understand it. Otherwise you are going to be throwing away money buying equipment you don't know how to use, on a project that might not work if you don't.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

It's not apparent why you want to use the server; just use a SOHO VPN router.

I wouldn't. That part is trivial. If the long range link works, then this part should take about 15 minutes to set up, and that includes a coffee break.

Judging by you prior posts you are probably Québécois and that you don't understand English very well, so I'm assuming this is a translation problem. 'Link budget' has NOTHING to do with money. It is the computation of the required Radio Frequency power needed to maintain two-way radio communications at an adequate level.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    It's not apparent why you want to use the server; just use a SOHO VPN router.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

the link budget is not a problem, we intend on splitting the bill.
    The VPN connection: $25
    The wireless router: $49
    Splitting the bill of the link-budget: priceless

..can also read this thread:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...?t=7127&page=6

..or find some basic info for making a link-budget here:
    http://www.radioraiders.com/wlan_range.html

How strong of a signal are you receiving?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast