Thread: Wireless HELP - Compelete Noob

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Wireless HELP - Compelete Noob

I have a Realtek RTL81017S Built in wireless card - Computer : Gatway (VISTA) Model : m-1629 System : 32 bit. When ever I run BT4 i can't get my wireless card to work. I have looked around at different websites and it is no help. Im pretty new at BT4 and I know little commands and about them. My card that I have work really well when I run my pc. Any suggestions?

How the hell do u get it to work

Quote Originally Posted by Danger4121 View Post
    I have a Realtek RTL81017S Built in wireless card - Computer : Gatway (VISTA) Model : m-1629 System : 32 bit. When ever I run BT4 i can't get my wireless card to work. I have looked around at different websites and it is no help. Im pretty new at BT4 and I know little commands and about them. My card that I have work really well when I run my pc. Any suggestions?

How the hell do u get it to work
    when in doubt; google-fu off your model number, to then find the "failing" component part number, to then search for patches and driver updates.

think of it as somewhat like being on "gilligan's island", but with internet access. figure out how to make it work with very little/no help. no available replacement parts and no one that really cares you've become marooned after a four hour tour.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/246141

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    think of it as somewhat like being on "gilligan's island", but with internet access. figure out how to make it work with very little/no help. no available replacement parts and no one that really cares you've become marooned after a four hour tour.
    Not sure if it will help the OP, but I do like the analogy there.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Also why do you want to use BT if you are a noob? No offense meant but go and learn to use Linux on Ubuntu first. With BT there are too many things which will distract you.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Have you tried (as noted on the boot screen):

Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

Just burned his ISO

Okay i really don't know what your saying but I went to the terminal (konsole) and it said file not found w/e ...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    Have you tried (as noted on the boot screen):

Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

Quote Originally Posted by Danger4121 View Post
    Okay i really don't know what your saying but I went to the terminal (konsole) and it said file not found w/e ...

Chris
    If it said that, you either did it wrong, or your download got screwed up. Though the fact that you don't know what it means says a lot too.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

I suspect that you don't type the whole command!
    1st: Open the terminal
    2nd: type: /etc/init.d/networking start (hit Enter)
    3rd: type: /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start (hit Enter)
    if that's what you did then Barry is right, somehow your bt4 release is a mess...

Watch out for the capital letters as thats what messed me up the first time i tried this and made me write my connect script ... actually im kinda glad it didn't work as ive been learning shell scripting ever since and wouldn't trade that for the world.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.