Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [BT4beta] Acer Aspire One (Bugs)

Quote Originally Posted by m1st3rg0n3 View Post
    While you have a point, I actually just found out from my mother-in-law that it does not void the warranty. She had this same issue on her AA1, and called Acer to find out what she needed to do. They told her that she would need to send the machine to them so it could be repaired. She called me later that night, and I walked her through the process of reflashing the bios (see my post here: hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=16435) and now everyhting is working perfectly. The next day, Acer did a follow up call, and when she told them what I had done, the rep said that Acer would have done the exact same thing. She asked if it voided the warranty, and he told her no, it wouldn't because they would have done the same thing.

Maybe I need to apply for a job with Acer.... better than Lowe's... <starts plotting and planning>
    Generally, most level 1 support representatives say whatever it takes to get you off their line and mark the issue as resolved. With that in mind, you can basically kiss your mother-in-law's netbook warranty good-bye. It isn't the same when a certified Acer technician flashes the BIOS compared to just a regular user flashing the BIOS. There is more room for error when a regular user flashes the BIOS which is one reason why they void the warranty.

Agreed.

There are some moral issues i would like to discuss with people at Acer though. I'm not the only one who got his aao bricked. A friend of mine sent his away on service - waited about three months until they finally sent him a new one, said that the problem could not be fixed. OK he got a new one, but 1. he had to wait for three months (three months of calling, nagging, pleading to get it back), 2. had an outdated BIOS again, 3. it bricked AGAIN (he is not a BT user - just the plain old Win / Mail, Surf, Chat... Joe), 4. called me to fix it (as I suggested before and as I did with mine; but he didn't want to loose the warranty)
    1. Their support (at least in Croatia) sucks
    2. They don't mention a thing about fixing this specific problem on their site (I can understand that they don't want to deal with the risk of anybody tampering with their bios and then activate the warranty when they mess up); but what about people who's warranty expired? They could post the solution and the warranty warning next to each other.

NO SUPPORT. (At least non for free)
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Quote Originally Posted by #mfBaranian# View Post
    Agreed.

There are some moral issues i would like to discuss with people at Acer though. I'm not the only one who got his aao bricked. A friend of mine sent his away on service - waited about three months until they finally sent him a new one, said that the problem could not be fixed. OK he got a new one, but 1. he had to wait for three months (three months of calling, nagging, pleading to get it back), 2. had an outdated BIOS again, 3. it bricked AGAIN (he is not a BT user - just the plain old Win / Mail, Surf, Chat... Joe), 4. called me to fix it (as I suggested before and as I did with mine; but he didn't want to loose the warranty)
    1. Their support (at least in Croatia) sucks
    2. They don't mention a thing about fixing this specific problem on their site (I can understand that they don't want to deal with the risk of anybody tampering with their bios and then activate the warranty when they mess up); but what about people who's warranty expired? They could post the solution and the warranty warning next to each other.

NO SUPPORT. (At least non for free)
    I can agree that Acer support isn't that great in the English language, but I also believe that the Acer Aspire One wasn't marketed to people who couldn't support themselves most of the time with the aid of Google. I think that netbook users should at least have a solid foundation of technical knowledge. Since Acer is based in Taiwan, I would assume that English is their second language and communication is a factor when support information is translated to English. Sometimes, Chinese phrases can lose its true meaning when translated to English.

Back Track 4 Pre Final fixed the sound issue. ALSA v1.0.18a works great.

Just burned his ISO

Whats a warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Whats a warranty?
    Ask Google and this the answer.
    warranty - Google Search

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12