Thread: gps device for realtime maping position using gpsd!

Just burned his ISO

Default gps device for realtime maping position using gpsd!

Hi
    I'm looking for a cheep gps device with external antenna and USB or RS232C interface that advertises NMEA-0183 compliance.

I would like to monitor wifi 802.11a link quality betweent 2 cars equipped with laptops. Cars move in motorway at high speed and I need precise information about their gps-position in order to calculate relative speed and acceleration.

In gpsd-website I found a not really update list of compatible gps devices and it's not easy to find them in Irish-shops!

a lot of device are not gpsd compatible because doesn't send real-time information and I need high packet frequency and best precision.

the best device that i can find is Garmin GPS18/USB
    1 usec claimed accuracy
    0.100 sec NTP time offset measured by comparison with the NTP time service and reported by gpsd.

Can you suggest me any device?

This is not wardrive although tested devices that you usually use could be useful...

thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by TheMrOrange View Post
    Hi
    I'm looking for a cheep gps device with external antenna and USB or RS232C interface that advertises NMEA-0183 compliance.

I would like to monitor wifi 802.11a link quality betweent 2 cars equipped with laptops. Cars move in motorway at high speed and I need precise information about their gps-position in order to calculate relative speed and acceleration.

In gpsd-website I found a not really update list of compatible gps devices and it's not easy to find them in Irish-shops!

a lot of device are not gpsd compatible because doesn't send real-time information and I need high packet frequency and best precision.

the best device that i can find is Garmin GPS18/USB
    1 usec claimed accuracy
    0.100 sec NTP time offset measured by comparison with the NTP time service and reported by gpsd.

Can you suggest me any device?

This is not wardrive although tested devices that you usually use could be useful...

thanks a lot
    There is a thread around here that can't be more than a month old talking about supported gps devices.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

im just wondering how good is the gps at finding locating of the AP?
    I would rather be hated for what i am,
    Then loved for what i am not.

Quote Originally Posted by cr1spyj0nes View Post
    im just wondering how good is the gps at finding locating of the AP?
    Depends on the radio. It's all just a best guess anyway. You can usually get it down to the building though.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69