Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About RT2870sta (Ralink)

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default About RT2870sta (Ralink)

Hi
    I have a USB High-power Adapter (AWUS050NH). I'm having some problems getting it to work with Backtrack.

First of all, there's support for this card right? If i'm not mistaken, I need a driver for RT2870.

Any ideas?
    Thankful for help.

Just burned his ISO

i also have that card. It works great in backtrack 3 but in backtrack 4 beta it doesnt seem to recognise it.
    When i type in airmon-ng in backtrack 3 i get this:

Interface Chipset Driver

ra0 Ralink b/g rt2500

Hope that helps you.
    And by the way, the moniter mode and packet injection works great.

Just burned his ISO

This will be your solution. Works great here on BT4

Quote Originally Posted by apocolipse269 View Post
    Ok, I've uploaded this to a (shitty at best) file hosting hopefully anyone who needs can get it. (if you guys could host it on the Wiki HCL i'd be happier haha )
    hxxp:// www DOT filefactory.com/file/af31fg2/n/rt2870-2_6_28-apocolipse_tar_gz

The steps for getting it running are simple. BT4 comes with kernel.lzm (sources) already so extract with your prefered extraction method

navigate to the folder rt2870-2.6.28-apocolipse in terminal
    then simply
    Code:
    make && make install
    after that do a
    Code:
    modprobe rt2870sta
    if you'd like to keep it on a persistant changes install and have it load on startup simply edit your /etc/modules.conf (or w/e it is in bt4 someone correct me if i'm wrong)

your card should come up in ifconfig and iwconfig as ra0

KNOWN ISSUES!!!
    Driver currently has some channel problems. I'm not positive on all of the situations however it can be annoying.
    example
    Code:
    airmon-ng -c 6 ra0
    will not show any bssids on channel 6, instead to see bssids broadcasting on channel 6 you must do
    Code:
    airmon-ng -c 10 ra0
    Look on channel 10, this can be a problem due to the fact that aireplay-ng will not do a fakeauth unless the card is on the correct channel. anyone using my driver please feel free to give me any information or situations around having any errors like this, i've only encountered it on ch 6/10 but if any others let me know (dont have too many essids around me to test :P )

Thanks hope you guys like the driver
    (oh and a side note, shoudl work for rt2860 as well)

EDIT: Mods please fix the link, woudlnt let me post links (again if you can host it elsewhere that'd be great too)

Just burned his ISO

Default another question

ok il try that out. also when i stop and start the wifi card the mac gets reset. so even though i would do the macchanger command the mac would be the same when i would type in airmon-ng start ra0.
    any idea why?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by kivi12k View Post
    ok il try that out. also when i stop and start the wifi card the mac gets reset. so even though i would do the macchanger command the mac would be the same when i would type in airmon-ng start ra0.
    any idea why?
    Any chance you've been able to get this working with RT2860? This RT2870 will compile on my system, but when you insert it, it doesn't show the card. There is something missing from making this work on RT2860's

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy6996 View Post
    Any chance you've been able to get this working with RT2860? This RT2870 will compile on my system, but when you insert it, it doesn't show the card. There is something missing from making this work on RT2860's
    Zimmy6996 the chipsets use different drivers and are different enough to merrit different drivers :/ I dont have a rt2860 chipset card (accually my rt2870 is dead now too) so i wouldnt be able to re-code and test a driver to work appropriately for you. if you can provide me with a rt2860 driver that works 100% with monitor mode and packet injection in BT3 then i can do my best to modify it for you but cannot guarantee it. The problem lies with the changes made to the linux kernel for kill_proc functions and how they behave.

Quote Originally Posted by passworder View Post
    I have a USB High-power Adapter (AWUS050NH)
    ohhh la la! I am actually in the market for a brand new USB wireless-N adapter (perferablly one with a detachable SMA antenna), and this AWUS050NH looks like a beauty! found it @ amazon for $59.99 AND it comes with a screw-on swivel 9dBi antenna+mount. I am sold, and the fact being that others have used this too... oh very happy indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tantatium View Post
    This will be your solution. Works great here on BT4

[......]
    fingers crossed this will work for me [[ I am looking specifically @ this card/deal = h**p://w*w.amazon.com/Alfa-Wireless-N-Wireless-9dBi-Strongest/dp/B002BFO490/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244338328&sr =8-2 ]]

also found this link @ h**p://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?topic=5278.0 with some more info about the card... I gonna go for it. I will respond with how everything goes - if I need help, hope someone will be willing to throw me a bone.

Quote Originally Posted by fnord0 View Post
    ohhh la la! I am actually in the market for a brand new USB wireless-N adapter (perferablly one with a detachable SMA antenna), and this AWUS050NH looks like a beauty! found it @ amazon for $59.99 AND it comes with a screw-on swivel 9dBi antenna+mount. I am sold, and the fact being that others have used this too... oh very happy indeed!

fingers crossed this will work for me [[ I am looking specifically @ this card/deal = h**p://w*w.amazon.com/Alfa-Wireless-N-Wireless-9dBi-Strongest/dp/B002BFO490/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244338328&sr =8-2 ]]

also found this link @ h**p://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?topic=5278.0 with some more info about the card... I gonna go for it. I will respond with how everything goes - if I need help, hope someone will be willing to throw me a bone.
    indeed a good card however the chipset is iffy. honestly i went with the Hawking Technologies HWUN2 (2 detachable antenna's w/ sma connectors, over just 1, means better i guess :P). My driver works with the HWUN2, and that card should be in my driver so if you get the card let me know (just post here) whether or not the driver works fine for you. Also look into DIY high gain antenna, i have a thread showing the 2 methods i used to bump my dinky 3dbi antenna (came with the card) to a 7dbi, then a 12dbi dish reflector made from some card stock and foil, works very well. about to make my 26dbi styrofoam antenna for accurate range (and i just switched my DirecTV to Verizion FIOS TV, so i might very well take my dish and make a bi-quad!!! 8 miles range ftw)

Quote Originally Posted by apocolipse269 View Post
    indeed a good card however the chipset is iffy. honestly i went with the Hawking Technologies HWUN2 (2 detachable antenna's w/ sma connectors, over just 1, means better i guess :P). My driver works with the HWUN2, and that card should be in my driver so if you get the card let me know (just post here) whether or not the driver works fine for you. Also look into DIY high gain antenna, i have a thread showing the 2 methods i used to bump my dinky 3dbi antenna (came with the card) to a 7dbi, then a 12dbi dish reflector made from some card stock and foil, works very well. about to make my 26dbi styrofoam antenna for accurate range (and i just switched my DirecTV to Verizion FIOS TV, so i might very well take my dish and make a bi-quad!!! 8 miles range ftw)
    awsome! I will definately check that out... I got myself a cantenna which is pretty good by itself, but I will try to play with yr suggestions to pimp out the default antenna that comes with the AWUS050NH! heheh...

also, I did see the HWUN2 to buy as well @ amazon ... we shall see if the Alfa is going to be what I want (now yr making me second guess myself! hahah), if not I may just take you up on yr advice and sling for a HWUN2.

this is going to be my first foray into 802.11n ... I bought the Alfa device based off the popularity of their AWUS036H product. we shall see now won't we

glad to see u are still around apocolipse269! I've read this forum many of a time, and seen yr posts alot, u seem to be smarter then the average joe for sure.... I will definately post here once the AWUS050NH gets to me (sometime next week). also I was hoping maybe to pick yr brain... I noticed u are the source of the "rt2870-2_6_28-apocolipse" driver, and also saw yr post describing how you put the driver together... the reason I bring this up is because I found this page = h**p://airdump.cz/wifi-karta-alfa-awus050nh-500mw-recenze/ (czech language -- I used google translate to understand, as I am english) - at the airdump.cz page, they talk about using linux driver rt2870sta "working in monitor mode, packet injection yet" (I suspect that means = monitor mode works, packet injection is not fully functional) --- then he mentions linux driver rt2800usb "works monitoring mode and packet injection" ... so I was thinking about playing with yr driver, the current rt2870sta driver, and rt2800usb. so when the time comes, maybe u will let me pick yr brain

and, for others here is some sites I found that talk in detail about linux support and the Alfa AWUS050NH 500mW USB wireless-N card ::

h**p://w*w.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html
    h**p://w*w.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=rt2870
    h**p://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?topic=4526.msg25504#msg25504
    h**p://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?topic=4397.0
    h**p://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/rt2800usb
    h**p://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt4beta-non-working-hardware/20408-wirelesscards-rt2870-2860-chipsets.html
    h**p://w*w.wifi-ita.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7964 (italian language)
    h**p://airdump.cz/wifi-karta-alfa-awus050nh-500mw-recenze/ (czech language)

PS: to get to the pages above, chage out the *'s for the proper letter.
    i.e. h**p = http and w*w = www ... I will make it to 15 posts yet! heh

Just burned his ISO

Drivers form producer site:

ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html
    See for RT2870USB(RT2870/RT2770)

ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/2009_0521_RT2870_Linux_STA_V2.1.2.0.tgz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast