Thread: Around how many IVS to break 256 bit key?

Just burned his ISO

Default Around how many IVS to break 256 bit key?

Hey guys I am wondering around how much tis gonna take to break my 256bit WEP key? So far I have 1,500,000 IVS but no luck. How much longer?

Quote Originally Posted by TheChemist187 View Post
    Hey guys I am wondering around how much tis gonna take to break my 256bit WEP key? So far I have 1,500,000 IVS but no luck. How much longer?
    They make 256bit wep keys??
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    They make 256bit wep keys??
    Yeah my linksys WRT54GS router has custom firmware and it lets me select 256 bit key. Do you have any idea of how much time? Its been going for two hours and almost have two million IVS's with aircrack running but no luch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChemist187 View Post
    What are you using to try to crack the keys? aircrack-ng by default uses a PTW attack, and according to their website, this attack doesn't support WEP 256. So, you may need to try a different attack such as the Korek. You also may want to specify the keylength by using the -n option (if you are using aircrack-ng).

Barry; Apparently there are some vendors out there that offer WEP 256.

aircrack-ng -f 4 -m 00:11:22:33:44:55 -n 256 test*.cap

should work
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by vvpalin View Post

should work
    Unless you've got this to work yourself, I don't think it will since it is still running the PTW attack. I looked at the aircrack-ng site a little while ago and didn't see where PTW will now work against WEP 256 (although I certainly could have missed the changelog note).

I think that if he uses your syntax, he also needs to add the -K option to force Korek attacks.

Just burned his ISO

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by vvpalin View Post

should work
    The -m 00:11:22:33:44:55 is the ssid, my mac, or the wireless clients mac?

@ cybrsnpr:

How would I use the -K Korek attacks thing? I am a little new to this but am learning. What I typed in another window is "aircrack-ng /mnt/sda1/dumpfile-01.cap"

So exactly what would I type to try your method?

How would I use the -K Korek attacks thing? I am a little new to this but am learning. What I typed in another window is "aircrack-ng /mnt/sda1/dumpfile-01.cap"

So exactly what would I type to try your method?
    aircrack-ng --help

There's some great information about how to use aircrack-ng at the aircrack-ng site (funny that):

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php

There's even a Firefox bookmark for it in BT4 Beta...

This particular document is relevant, it provides a brief discussion of the Korek and PTW attacks near the end

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=simple_wep_crack

Its probably a good idea to read some of the more detailed documentation as well, but knowing the information from the above is probably a good minimum barrier to entry for WEP cracking...
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    What are you using to try to crack the keys? aircrack-ng by default uses a PTW attack, and according to their website, this attack doesn't support WEP 256. So, you may need to try a different attack such as the Korek. You also may want to specify the keylength by using the -n option (if you are using aircrack-ng).

Barry; Apparently there are some vendors out there that offer WEP 256.
    Yea, I went and google'd it after my post. Kinda like putting a deadbolt on a screen door.....
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69