Thread: Strange channel numbers in airodump-ng

Hybrid View

Default Strange channel numbers in airodump-ng

I've recently noticed a number of weird channels that pop up from time to time in airodump-ng. These access points include various channel numbers like 108 or 133, have their rate set to -1, and come with an empty SSID (<length: 0>). I've seen these pop up many times in multiple areas, and I've seen them in multiple versions of aircrack-ng - first tested with the version that comes prepacked with BT4b and later with an updated version of 1.0 rc3 r1508. I'm not sure whether this is a bug in airodump-ng or the drivers, but I thought it'd be worth reporting. I've used my Alfa AWUS036H to make the capture.

Here is a screenshot (check the last two) and a capture file.
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Channels 108 and 138 are 802.11a channels. Since I don't think the alfa is capable of 802.11a, I think what you are seeing is the result of bleed over. The 802.11a channels are either strong enough or close enough to your location that some of the information is being picked up by your card.

Yeah, I've figured those were 802.11a numbers, but I wasn't quite expecting my Alfa being able to capture them ^^
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Last night i have the same issue, airodump-ng show me channel 108 using a 802.11/b/g interface. The network have hidden SSID and no encryption.

At the beginning I was very confused I'ts a 5ghz signal? But in theory my adapter can't manage this frequency... so i googled a bit and found this airodump-ng bug:

hxxp://trac.aircrack-ng.org/ticket/670
    Google is your best friend :D