Thread: Password to long, unable to log in now....

Just burned his ISO

Default Password to long, unable to log in now....

I just recently installed BT2F on my laptop as a dual boot machine with Win XP. I changed the password and recieved a message after saying that some systems have issues with passwords longer than 8 digits, ( I should of paid more attention).

To sum it up I am now unable to login to the BT2F partition. I have tried chroot but get the following error,( I have also tried without -t)

mkdir /mnt/root
    mount -t reiserfs /dev/sda2 /mnt/root
    chroot /mnt/root /bin/bash
    "stderr is not a tty - where are you?"

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

pen_PWN

Why don't you try replacing the root password hash in /etc/shadow? I daresay there are guides findable on Google that can tell you how to do this
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pen_PWN View Post
    I just recently installed BT2F on my laptop as a dual boot machine with Win XP.
    Any ideas would be most appreciated!
    pen_PWN
    You might also want to consider upgrading to BT3 or maybe even BT4 beta.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I have tried replacing the password using a live CD but for some reason after setting the PW it doesnt work when I try to log in. I have Googled and tried various suggested methods, hence the post here.
    The reason that I put BT2F on the laptop is that it will not recognize BT3B, BT3101 or BT3F>> it loads to a blank screen. I have BT3F on my desktop but wanted it on an additional computer for my OSCP exam in a couple weeks.

Wow!! Good idea! I've got a computer here that the screen doesn't work with Windows Xp, Windows 3.11 should fix that.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Wow!! Good idea! I've got a computer here that the screen doesn't work with Windows Xp, Windows 3.11 should fix that.
    There were a few bugs I believe with 3.11 Barry. It might be better to go with DOS 6.0.

@ OP, if you can't get the password reset or changed with the live cd, then you might want to just redo the partitions. It shouldn't really take all that long.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pen_PWN View Post
    I have tried replacing the password using a live CD but for some reason after setting the PW it doesnt work when I try to log in. I have Googled and tried various suggested methods, hence the post here.
    The reason that I put BT2F on the laptop is that it will not recognize BT3B, BT3101 or BT3F>> it loads to a blank screen. I have BT3F on my desktop but wanted it on an additional computer for my OSCP exam in a couple weeks.
    You might be better off using VMware on your desktop, since you know your desktop handles BT3F fine.

Just burned his ISO

You might be better off using VMware on your desktop, since you know your desktop handles BT3F fine.
    I have made a few BT images for VM and USB bootables but much prefer the way a hard install works.

As far as older OS's go newer isn't always better. BT2F was able to complete tasks for the OS101 course that BT3 couldnt.....and then there is Vista

Anyhow it looks like I will just reninstall BT2 on the partition. Thanks to those that offered help.