Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firefox update

Quote Originally Posted by mobychien View Post
    I tried both:
    -check for update
    - apt-get update

None of them work. can't do a "apt-get upgrade" , after that startx won't work.
    Well maybe if you do a search for that fix, you can use synaptic correctly.

Thanks for asking this.
    Yes, I did download the source and re-install it ...
    And, was able to install 3.0.10 latest version of firefox...

BTW, have u tried to do the same?
    It's still not working for you?? If this is the case, open up a terminal and type "firefox" then hit tab a couple times. It should show you a couple different firefox versions. You can edit the firefox icon with the correct version.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well maybe if you do a search for that fix, you can use synaptic correctly.

It's still not working for you?? If this is the case, open up a terminal and type "firefox" then hit tab a couple times. It should show you a couple different firefox versions. You can edit the firefox icon with the correct version.
    what u mean by "if you do a search for that fix, you can use synaptic correctly."?
    Anyway, by downloading the source and do a "manual" install, I got it working.
    But, in the end, I believe this is a "software-related" issues that need to be fixed in the final release.

what u mean by "if you do a search for that fix, you can use synaptic correctly."?
    But, in the end, I believe this is a "software-related" issues that need to be fixed in the final release.
    there is already a fix for it, we suggested searching before and we are gonna suggest it again.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Stock Ubuntu doesn't update between firefox versions. This isn't a backtrack related issue.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Update to latest Frefox

There have been some problems getting the default firefox to update on bt4
    the reason this seems to not work is that the normal install routine for firefox is to save the firefox script to /opt
    When using the firefox updater it looks for the script in /opt and as such it can not find it.
    One needs to remember that normal *nix boxes are setup for several users to be able to access and have their own settings for applications saved into a "home" directory. Since BT is designed for one user "root" things are a bit different.
    Firefox in bt is saved under /usr/bin/firefox as a symbolic link to /usr/lib/firefox
    So if you want to make your firefox install a bit more like a "normal" distro you can follow along.
    First download the latest firefox from here

Next grab a shell and back up your bookmarks and settings:
    Code:
    root@dorkbox:~# cp -R ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.backup
    Now move to the directory containing your new FF
    Code:
    root@dorkbox:~#cd opt
    Then
    Code:
    root@dorkbox:/opt/#tar -jxvf  firefox-3.0.10tar.bz2
    Next
    Code:
    root@dorkbox:/opt/#rm firefox-3.0.10.tar.bz2
    Then
    Code:
    root@dorkbox:/opt/#nano /usr/bin/firefox
    Find the part that has the following:
    LIBDIR=/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.5
    and change it to
    LIBDIR=/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10
    save and exit.
    Then move to /usr/bin/ and change firefox-3.0 to firefox-3.0.old Then rm the old firefox script in the same directory.
    (FYI NOTE: The script is called "firefox")
    Copy the new firefox script from firefox-3.0.10 to /usr/bin
    Then nano /usr/bin/firefox find the line that looks like the following;
    moz_libdir=/usr/local/lib/firefox-3.0.5 (it might have been a little different.
    Change it to
    moz_libdir=/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10
    save and exit.

Now you should be able to enjoy your pr0n from within BT as always.
    It should start from a shell, and the panel icon as well as the menu icon.

NOTE: There may be an easier way or better way to do this but it works for me.

MOD EDIT:
    If there is an interest or a need maybe this post could be separated and made it's own under the tutorial section. Probably won't be but that's ok too.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

@archangle

Your directions helped me out tremendously, after a little playing i finally got it to work ... for whatever reason there is something wrong with the steps you posted as i had to move a few things around to finally get it to work. For the life of me i dont exactly know what and rite now im just happy to have the web back as i was without for about 40min.

I might write a nifty little bash script that can do all of this ... i was thinking that if i can write it the way i want all you should have to do is type in the latest version number and all should work ok ... but well see what kind of motivation i have for it tomorrow ... in the very least it will give me some much needed experience.

Anyways thanks a bunch for posting .. and this serves as a warning to others ... make sure you copy the directions and be prepaired to play with it for a little while to get it working.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Just burned his ISO

apt-get remove firefox
    apt-get install firefox
    This is my idea

Quote Originally Posted by vvpalin View Post
    @archangle

Your directions helped me out tremendously, after a little playing i finally got it to work ... Anyways thanks a bunch for posting .. and this serves as a warning to others ... make sure you copy the directions and be prepaired to play with it for a little while to get it working.
    You are welcome. As far as some problems you may have had, well since we have nothing to go off of there is no way to troubleshoot. But if it works then I suppose that is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotches View Post
    This is my idea
    apt-get remove firefox
    apt-get install firefox
    That may work too but when you do that you also lose all of the plugins that have been added. So it's not really a viable option IMO.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

archangel.amael your instructions work flawlessly thanks now i upgraded happily my firefox..

Quote Originally Posted by barecool View Post
    archangel.amael your instructions work flawlessly thanks now i upgraded happily my firefox..
    No problem glad it worked for you, and thanks for the feed-back.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12