Thread: Login probs :(

Just burned his ISO

Question Login probs :(

Hello Peeps, im very new to linux - i decided to start learning my self after getting board with windows. I have currently got BT3 installed on Vm and have run into a problem creating a new user. I can add a new user from the terminal using the /adduser command and the switch user using the /su command, but wen it comes to logging in it brings up an error. Is this problen caused by running BT3 in VMware? if not is there a solution? Many thnx

Ps Sorry if i posted in the wrong place...

Quote Originally Posted by cl34rp5y7 View Post
    Is this problen caused by running BT3 in VMware?
    Unlikely.

if not is there a solution?
    Probably.

Did you want to provide some more detail about what happens when you try and login as the new user? Maybe an error message?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

After you add the user, assign a password to that user:

passwd "username"

Then the user account should be activated and you should be able to log into it.

Hello Peeps, im very new to linux - i decided to start learning my self after getting board with windows.
    Don't use BT for that.

Go with Ubuntu and make your first experience with that. It is far more userfriendly and you will have a far better learning curve. Also the support community is far better. We won't help you here to learn the basics in Linux.
    And all the tools comming with BT will distract you from learning.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Hello Peeps, im very new to linux - i decided to start learning my self after getting board with windows. I have currently got BT3 installed on Vm and have run into a problem creating a new user. I can add a new user from the terminal using the /adduser command and the switch user using the /su command, but wen it comes to logging in it brings up an error. Is this problen caused by running BT3 in VMware? if not is there a solution? Many thnx

Ps Sorry if i posted in the wrong place...
    are you having an Inusertemp error?