Thread: Personal user problem?

Just burned his ISO

Question Personal user problem?

Hello, I'm quite new to GNU/Linux and I am now dual-booting bt4 and windows.
    I guess its stupid to be logged in as root all the time, as i would like to be using chat programs (Xchat).

I created a user name and password and proceeded to reboot.

I reboot and l login, and start networking (I do not have permission - Fails)
    startx... screen goes black then returns to the screen with text with errors (I am still able to exit out and do with it as i wish)

I log in back as root and everything works fine as it did when using the live cd, networking could be established, i could start kde yadada.

Any input?
    Thanks, Sethor15

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sethor15 View Post
    Hello, I'm quite new to GNU/Linux and I am now dual-booting bt4 and windows.
    I guess its stupid to be logged in as root all the time,
    Any input?
    Thanks, Sethor15
    Since it is obvious that you are new to linux you might want to start off with something more user friendly like ubuntu. If you would like help with it hit back.
    You will find that in BT there are lots of specialized tools for a specific task.
    As such most if not all of those tools require the use of the root user.
    Using the root user does have inherent dangers if you do not know what you are doing. One such danger is you could insert the wrong command and delete you pr0n stash. There are numerous others.
    Also using bt for chatting on irc is really kind of silly. Since if you do so as root some channels will not allow you to join. Others will realize the potential security risk that you have going and take advantage of it.

In order to get a user root privileges you should have a look at su and sudo
    As well as user permissions

Also I have given you plenty of info to run with.
    You will also find that there is not a lot of spoon-feeding here.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Using the root user does have inherent dangers if you do not know what you are doing. One such danger is you could insert the wrong command and delete you pr0n stash.
    Oh God, not the pr0n stash!!!!

I agree with archangel.amael, you probably want to start off with another Linux distro before trying to use BackTrack. Try something like Ubuntu, this will get you used to the concept of using sudo to elevate your rights when you need to perform system administration tasks. Of course the use of su is also an option, however the point is you should understand how this all works before you start playing around with it - especially if you are concerned about security.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.