Thread: Will it be possible to update from BT4 Beta to BT4 final?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Will it be possible to update from BT4 Beta to BT4 final?

Hello everyone,

since BT4 is based on Ubuntu, will it be possible for users to upgrade from beta to final version in a similar way like Ubuntu does? This is a question that many people would like to know it's answer.

I am still using the stable version of BT3, but I would very much like to switch to BT4. I have used succesfully all the installation methods, but as we all may know, installing on a hard drive is the best option. So in order not to waste my time installing BT4 beta and then have to install BT4 final I would be very grateful if anyone knew the answer to my question.

Thank you

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by limbero View Post
    So in order not to waste my time installing BT4 beta and then have to install BT4 final I would be very grateful if anyone knew the answer to my question.
    Thank you
    I don't know the exact answer to your question per se, but I do know that
    I just made a new bt4 install on my vmware server last night using the official pdf cookbook and it took 18 minutes. Probably could have done it in 15 had I not deliberately been in a hurry to see how fast I could get it done. Because of that I made a couple of errors that took me a minute to correct.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Developer

The answer is no. There is a completely new base and a completely new repo in the works. The fact is that bt4 was beta and it is taking a long time to iron out all the kinks. May people are working very hard for FREE to make this possible. The final goal is to have a completely up datable distro which can be used as a everyday computing system as well. If you are not comfortable using a beta than I suggest sticking with 3 until 4 is final.

FYI This statement is false
    but as we all may know, installing on a hard drive is the best option.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks, your answers satisfy my questions and yes, what you say sounds logical. So I'll stick to BT3.

Just burned his ISO

FYI This statement is false
    Quote:

mhmmm you are wrong... true statement, its best having it installed on the disk.

and bt4 is not based of ubuntu but kubuntu...
    ubuntu: gnu kubuntu: kde

Quote Originally Posted by duelboy View Post
    Quote:

mhmmm you are wrong... true statement, its best having it installed on the disk.

and bt4 is not based of ubuntu but kubuntu...
    ubuntu: gnu kubuntu: kde
    I don't normally do this on this forum, but dude, go the **** away, you're a moron that has absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I don't normally do this on this forum, but dude, go the **** away, you're a moron that has absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
    Barry, look at his other posts. He's suffering from so much cranial anal insertion, he'll never see daylight.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Barry, look at his other posts. He's suffering from so much cranial anal insertion, he'll never see daylight.
    I know, that's why my comment came about. The backtrack forum pool is in some serious need of bleach.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69