Thread: IP Tables for beginners?

Default IP Tables for beginners?

Is there like a GUI or something that will make this allot easier because im having a hell of a time grasping the concept. Normally im against a gui but in this case i think just to learn how its configured it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I would liek to start playing around with setting up AP's but its not going to get me very far unless i learn the forwarding, routing, etc. Copying the commands from the read me's and how to's is great but id rather just know how it works so i can set up some more exotic configurations. Like AP > LAN > AP ... that way we can serve up a rouge thats actually connected to another AP .. sniffing everything in between of course

I have a decent understanding of the network layer and IP / Subnet's and im pretty sure i know how it needs to be done, my problem is just in implementing the rules.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by vvpalin View Post
    Is there like a GUI or something that will make this allot easier because im having a hell of a time grasping the concept. Normally im against a gui but in this case i think just to learn how its configured it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I would liek to start playing around with setting up AP's but its not going to get me very far unless i learn the forwarding, routing, etc. Copying the commands from the read me's and how to's is great but id rather just know how it works so i can set up some more exotic configurations. Like AP > LAN > AP ... that way we can serve up a rouge thats actually connected to another AP .. sniffing everything in between of course

I have a decent understanding of the network layer and IP / Subnet's and im pretty sure i know how it needs to be done, my problem is just in implementing the rules.

I like fwbuilder. Its a GUI front end to a number of different firewalls, including iptables. It basically allows you to define your rulesets graphically and then compile them into a script which will run the appropriate iptables commands. You can then see exactly what commands are used to create the firewall you configure.

The interface is sort of reminiscent (at least to me) of the Firewall-1 configuration tool. You will need to be somewhat used to configuring firewalls to use it properly...

Its probably a good way to start before trying to configure iptables at the command line (which should be the end goal, so you can modify firewall settings of a host you have compromised from the command line)
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

As always there's google, even using your subject line returned good results:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=IP+Tables+for+beginners
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Its probably a good way to start before trying to configure iptables at the command line (which should be the end goal, so you can modify firewall settings of a host you have compromised from the command line)
    EXACTLY what i was looking for thank you so much

As always there's google, even using your subject line returned good results:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=IP+Tables+for+beginners
    Of course i googled it, in fact i was 2 seconds away from installing it but i stoped when i found out it wasnt just for iptables.

Its always nice to google but its also nice to get real world advice from someone who knows what there doing, in my eyes there is no search engine that can ever replace that.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Of course i googled it, in fact i was 2 seconds away from installing it but i stoped when i found out it wasnt just for iptables.

Its always nice to google but its also nice to get real world advice from someone who knows what there doing, in my eyes there is no search engine that can ever replace that.
    Absolutely, your original post just seemed to me like "I looked up IPTables and saw lots of command line stuff and gave up."

As for installing "it" I assume you mean the suggested fwbuilder? What difference does it make if it works with multiple FWs and not just IPTables? Which lupin stated in his post "Its a GUI front end to a number of different firewalls, including iptables."

This guy has a good run down of some other packages:
    http://brunovernay.wordpress.com/200...les-netfilter/
    (Tough it's from 2007).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Absolutely, your original post just seemed to me like "I looked up IPTables and saw lots of command line stuff and gave up."

As for installing "it" I assume you mean the suggested fwbuilder? What difference does it make if it works with multiple FWs and not just IPTables? Which lupin stated in his post "Its a GUI front end to a number of different firewalls, including iptables."

This guy has a good run down of some other packages:
    http://brunovernay.wordpress.com/200...les-netfilter/
    (Tough it's from 2007).
    Everything ive done in the last week and a half almost 2 since ive been on BT has been command line, in fact im completely agenst a gui until i learn the basics. What really bothered me and what i couldn't wrap my head around was commands like postrouting and a few others. I thought a decent GUI would do me good so i can learn what is really going on, more as a learning tool than anything else.

And yes i was refering to installing fwbuilder as it was at the top of my google searches, but not knowing much and not wantng to spend hours looking at a program that wouldnt work for what i wanted i made the wrong assumption that because its use for other things it wouldnt be good for what i needed.

I come from windows keep that in mind so EVERYTHING is new to me. I had never even used bash and the only command line experence in windows was for ipconfig. You must admit tho im learning pretty fast as ive already writtin my first little script =]

All good, I'm with you now. I thought you meant you'd rethought installing fwbuidler after lupin had suggested it, which is why I was confused.

Just burned his ISO

Hi

Check this one (add www at the beginning - this is my first post & i"m not allowed to attach links)

netfilter.org/documentation/index.html#documentation-howto

Enjoy

Nissan