Thread: How the hell can you stop this from happening?

Hybrid View

Exclamation How the hell can you stop this from happening?

i was just wondering, if anyone knows anyway to prevent this from happening? (other than don't use windows lol)
    http://download.airodump.net/data/video/vistahack.swf

you could say lock bios, prevent booting from a cd/usb, but cracking the bios or simply resetting it is cake.
    Is there anything a someone could do at the user level to fix this or is this purely on MS to fix this flaw?
    would encrypting the drive do any good? if so how good is such encryption?

this leaves a HUGE backdoor in the os after you've made this quick change.

any thoughts?

(i wasn't sure where to put this one, mods please move if incorrectly placed)

Default Why?

Why are you writing this?

What do you expect?

Of course, it is quite normal for an operating system to be able to read the contents of the disks. When using backtrack as a LiveCD/DVD for example it is normal.

You asked about strategies.

I suggest that one does not allow physical access to the machine. Encryption is useful but all encrypted material needs to be decoded at some stage upon entering userland for normal processing.

So, what did you expect?
    Lux sit

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalpsycho View Post
    i was just wondering, if anyone knows anyway to prevent this from happening? (other than don't use windows lol)
    http://download.airodump.net/data/video/vistahack.swf

you could say lock bios, prevent booting from a cd/usb, but cracking the bios or simply resetting it is cake.
    Is there anything a someone could do at the user level to fix this or is this purely on MS to fix this flaw?
    would encrypting the drive do any good? if so how good is such encryption?

this leaves a HUGE backdoor in the os after you've made this quick change.

any thoughts?

(i wasn't sure where to put this one, mods please move if incorrectly placed)
    A bios password will do no good since in order for the "hack" to work one would need physical access to the machine. As such removing the cmos battery is pretty trivial in such a case.
    Encryption would help prevent the contents of the drive from being easily accessed, however again if the someone has physical access and the owner of the laptop/pc kept a copy of the password somewhere on the drive then again it's game over.
    I think blackfoot summed it up pretty good, what did you expect to happen.
    This is just one of a myriad of ways of compromise.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just use a good encryption scheme for your harddisk and memorize the hardest password ever you made xD

I'm sure that will do. Of course you can set BIOS passwords and also set up other things
    at the OS-level f.ex. if you run Linux, you use sudo and don't log in as root. That's just a
    lame example but it helps increase the security a tiny bit. xD
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Most newer laptops have a hard drive password option. This password is part of the ata spec, so it's not tied to the laptop or bios. Nothing gets access to the drive without the password. Though you might be able to swap the controller card, I've not tried that for password bypass.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Use trucrypt if you think one of the people you let inside your house will try this.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Keep the PC locked.....
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Most newer laptops have a hard drive password option. This password is part of the ata spec, so it's not tied to the laptop or bios. Nothing gets access to the drive without the password. Though you might be able to swap the controller card, I've not tried that for password bypass.
    In regard to ATA security there was an article printed in 2600 Volume Twenty-six number one titled 'ATA Security Exposed' in which a number of vulnerabilities are discussed. I imagine this info can be found elsewhere as well. While a nice feature I insist on FDE for any laptops I manage if they have sensitive info on them, which incidentally is all laptops.
    ~Monovitae~