Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WPA2 Cracking (can it be cracked?/how?)

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalpsycho View Post
    if not for the already dead (ie: my neighbors who leave their net wide open.)
    Maybe your neighbor/s is/are running honeypots.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalpsycho View Post
    lol, well if you're governments after you, i doubt wifi is going to be your biggest concern. and if that were the case, you just plain shouldn't be on the net. but you're right... what's the average motive for cracking someones wifi?
    boredom, curiosity, fun, free internet... i'm sure most would just break off and go for the easy kill. if not for the already dead (ie: my neighbors who leave their net wide open.)
    another good deterrent could be using those programs that spam out hundreds of false ssid's.

lol so much for going offtopic.
    Hey, nice to see someone new to the forums. I have been away for a while, doing work, and life, etc.

I finally found the time today to try out my copy of BT4 Beta. :] So far looks good, however I downloaded my copy more than a month ago, so I don't really know if it's up to date. I'm downloading the VM version right now.

As for you point about motives for cracking WIFI, I think your absolutely right. Most people are either board, want to steal information, or just want free internet. And your also right, Most people planning to abuse the victim's connection, they probably would go for an easy kill... or as you said, an already dead connection.

And, if your government's after you, then you may as well count yourself caught...

lol.

WPA is about the most secure the average computer user needs to be.
    Originally Posted by pureh@te
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Maybe your neighbor/s is/are running honeypots.
    ssh is a beautiful thing
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Just burned his ISO

With the right amount of time you can bruteforce anything. Its only a matter of whether the time is relativly possible or not.

Bruteforce WILL eventually find the right password. No question asked.
    Dictionary is NOT bruteforcing since it isnt guaranteed to EVER find the password if its not in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriss3d View Post
    With the right amount of time you can bruteforce anything. Its only a matter of whether the time is relativly possible or not.

Bruteforce WILL eventually find the right password. No question asked.
    Dictionary is NOT bruteforcing since it isnt guaranteed to EVER find the password if its not in the dictionary.
    Yup, with "whether the time is relativly (sic) possible" being the catch phrase. You can try, but the last time I computed the figures, it would take about 57 years to bruteforce a 21 character passphrase using standard PC equipment.

For those interested in the figures, read this thread:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14379

Specifically, at the top of page 3 within that that thread, I run some of the numbers:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...5593#post85593
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Passwords are like underwear. They should never be shared, and changed often.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

That was one of the best written up threads I have read on this forum, even the grammar and spelling was immaculate-delicious, thanks Thorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Oktet View Post
    That was one of the best written up threads I have read on this forum, even the grammar and spelling was immaculate-delicious, thanks Thorn.
    Well he is an author...
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well he is an author...
    ...King of the Britons!
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    ...King of the Britons!
    That's Arthur....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast