Thread: alfa awus036h duplicate the card (mon0, mon1,mon2...)

Just burned his ISO

Default alfa awus036h duplicate the card (mon0, mon1,mon2...)

i try with a alfa awus036h and every time i configure the card wlan0 then it duplicate it with a name like mon0, mon1...mon2...

And then only works the monX. The wlan0 fails.

Quote Originally Posted by betita_elfica View Post
    i try with a alfa awus036h and every time i configure the card wlan0 then it duplicate it with a name like mon0, mon1...mon2...

And then only works the monX. The wlan0 fails.
    Those are called VAP's (virtual access points). That's how cards that use atheros chipsets work.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

sorry, but i dont like this in my alfa :S.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Those are called VAP's (virtual access points). That's how cards that use atheros chipsets work.
    I don't think this is an atheros issue in the OP's case since he is using an alfa which uses rtl8187 chipset. I think this has more to do with the new mac80211 stack vice the old ieee80211.

With the older kernel, my alfa worked off of wlan0 exclusively. With the newer kernel, I have both wlan0 and mon0. I've found that, generally speaking, if you want to do something that doesn't require association (monitor, packet inject etc.) use mon0. If you want to do plain old associate (and surf) use wlan0.

OP: If you don't like this, you can blacklist the newer mac80211 driver and load up the old ieee80211 driver to get you old functionality. The only drawback to this is that you won't be able to connect to WPA networks unless you use ndiswrappers. On the other hand, a lot of people have posted that they get better results by using the old drivers.

Hope this helps...

Developer

One thread per subject is plenty. Do not cross post.