Thread: I need a bit of information..

Just burned his ISO

Default I need a bit of information..

I currently have, Ubuntu Linux, and Windows Vista installed on my harddrive, I want to wipe Windows Vista, and install backtrack3 instead.
    Is it possible to do this?
    I haven't had too much experience with the terminal/commands, so if anyone could dumb it down :P, I would appreciate it.
    So I need to know;
    How to wipe Windows Vista, and then how to install and partition Backtrack3..

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yanz15 View Post
    I currently have, Ubuntu Linux, and Windows Vista installed on my harddrive, I want to wipe Windows Vista, and install backtrack3 instead.
    Is it possible to do this?
    I haven't had too much experience with the terminal/commands, so if anyone could dumb it down :P, I would appreciate it.
    So I need to know;
    How to wipe Windows Vista, and then how to install and partition Backtrack3..
    This is probably going to be a big mistake for you to make.
    Since you "haven't had too much experience with the terminal/commands" you are going to find that the majority of BT requires a bit of knowledge on using a shell prompt to do things.
    As such it would be highly recommended for you to stick with your ubuntu and windows combo. Learn to use the shell (which is basic linux). If you choose to go with BT you will get sidetracked with the kewl tools and not really learn much, if anything.
    We are all for you learning but you might want to take it a bit slower.
    If you insist then fire up your live disk and use fdisk or parted and delete the win partition. Then go from there.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Good friend of the forums

run the following command in ubuntu:
    aptitude search virtualbox
    then install whatever you find there - I don't remember the name off the top of my head - I mean, install virtualbox, that is. Don't literally install everything...

Then fire up virtualbox, and set it to boot from the BT4 iso. Follow the tutorials on this forum... should be easy enough.

Here is what will help you learn the terminal, whenever you find out about a new command type "man commandname". But do this in Ubuntu and learn from there before you make the switch. (I mean you could leave Vista on there and just make another partition to have Ubuntu, Vista and BT)