Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using BT4 without being root

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Flibble View Post
    I see a great number of people on the forum using or wanting to use BT as their "daily" OS which I must admit seems silly to me. It is not designed with that in mind.
    Id agree with this, there are many Linux distributions better suited to daily regular use, or to use for other specific purposes. I use Ubuntu on my regular use laptop at home, Xubuntu on a lower specc'd machine, MythBuntu on my media center and IPCop for my dedicated firewall. I have Debian installed on a modified NAS device, and OpenWrt installed on a Linksys router. Those are all good distributions for those particular purposes.

I have Backtrack 4 Beta installed on a work laptop used exclusively for penetration testing, and some incident response activities. It works well for this, (after making some usability modifications such as adding a non root user, etc), but I wouldn't consider it for general purpose use.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

With the proper knowledge you can also customize BT to your needs as a dailly OS. But I'd agree with you that it is not the main purpose of BT to be a home users daily OS.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    With the proper knowledge you can also customize BT to your needs as a dailly OS. But I'd agree with you that it is not the main purpose of BT to be a home users daily OS.
    Yes, its certainly possible to do this, but its a bit like reinventing the wheel when you consider that there are already many Linux distributions designed specifically for regular daily use. You just have to redo all of that work in BackTrack that went in to making the "daily use" distros suitable for that purpose. Why do it again when someone has already done it for you?

Unless of course someone out there actually enjoys fixing dozens of niggling little usability problems - in which case more power to you.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

You are absolutely right. I mean it could be done once or twice to actually get an even better understanding of where all the configuration is done and so on. But yeah most of the time a different distribution is fitting better.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

You are absolutely right. I mean it could be done once or twice to actually get an even better understanding of where all the configuration is done and so on. But yeah most of the time a different distribution is fitting better.
    Agreed. It certainly could be a learning experience, however i went through this with a number of different distros a number of years ago when first trying to use Linux as a daily OS. I found the experience... unsatisfying. To say the least. Lots of niggling little issues to fix, seemingly unique to each different distro. I didn't really learn too much that was useful from fixing many of them either, at least not when you consider the time it took. So much of the stuff that I learned from this was only useful for that particular distro, or even for that particular version of that distro, and was not portable across different Linuxes.

A much better way to gain this knowledge is to build a Linux system using Linux from Scratch. That was probably one of the best things I have ever done for learning Linux.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    A much better way to gain this knowledge is to build a Linux system using Linux from Scratch. That was probably one of the best things I have ever done for learning Linux.
    I second that, LFS is a great way to learn about linux. Plus you get only what you want with it.
    There is also gentoo, but it will focus more on the gentoo way of things.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

good advice maybe i should start using ubuntu (i already have it) first

ok... bt4 is not for noobs...
    Someone even said linux itself is not 4 them.
    So ppl,... go to windows.
    Is the above reasoning a possible "result set" according to your assumptions mr admin/s?

So a possible problem could be:
    After 20 years in windows, i m still a linux noob. How do I become an expert without passing the noob level? Yes even in linux!
    You guys... by reading most of your posts I m just start to believe that you borned Xperts?
    lol...
    Its funny anyway, but... tell me why the bt4 based on Ubuntu 8? Is it a noob oriented turnover?

And at last... could someone answer the initial post!

Good friend of the forums Eatme's Avatar

If you are a noob don't use Linux. BT is a distro for pentesters which means they have experience with Linux and know what they are doing. Also they most likely know what they messed up and how to correct it if they did.

Why are you using BT at all if you are a noob with Linux? It is definately not the right distro to start with.
    not really.

I would't call my self a noob, but i learn very quick. And i was a completely new to installing linux/BT3-4 and now im using it well.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPunk View Post
    ok... bt4 is not for noobs...
    Someone even said linux itself is not 4 them.
    So ppl,... go to windows.
    Is the above reasoning a possible "result set" according to your assumptions mr admin/s?

So a possible problem could be:
    After 20 years in windows, i m still a linux noob. How do I become an expert without passing the noob level? Yes even in linux!
    You guys... by reading most of your posts I m just start to believe that you borned Xperts?
    lol...
    Its funny anyway, but... tell me why the bt4 based on Ubuntu 8? Is it a noob oriented turnover?

And at last... could someone answer the initial post!
    Go read the offensive-security blog for the answer on the switch to ubuntu.
    Also go read every single post in the idiot's corner as well as the first 8 pages in the newbie forum and the answers will all magically appear.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast