Thread: Is this possible?

Just burned his ISO

Default Is this possible?

So I was surfing along some other random forum about an idea to help one person get his laptop back. The person knew who the thief was, and the thief had a facebook or myspace page. Is it possible to watch all the traffic connecting to the facebook/myspace page link? If it is, one could scan the traffic going to that link, and find the MAC address of the stolen laptop.

I'm curious to know if this is possible.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by stevo937 View Post
    So I was surfing along some other random forum about an idea to help one person get his laptop back. The person knew who the thief was, and the thief had a facebook or myspace page. Is it possible to watch all the traffic connecting to the facebook/myspace page link? If it is, one could scan the traffic going to that link, and find the MAC address of the stolen laptop.

I'm curious to know if this is possible.
    If he knows who it is, why not just contact the local PD? And no, you couldn't do it without being somewhere in the middle, either at an ISP or on MySucks/FaceLoser's networks.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.