Thread: Promiscuous mode problem with HWUG1

Just burned his ISO

Question Promiscuous mode problem with HWUG1

Hi. I have the HWUG1 wireless card. I am using BT3 and i was successfully able to capture packets, and do an arp replay and capture IVs to crack a WEP key. I use the rt73 chipset.

I can also use the card to connect to my network and that is how i'm accessing the internet right now so i can type this question. However, when I use wireshark, I check the box to use the card in promiscuous mode, yet I don't capture anything that my computer isn't sending or receiving. It's as if I'm not putting the card in promiscuous mode at all. I tried to search the forums, but I couldn't really find anything. It seems no one else has this problem. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for the reply.

Just burned his ISO

bump... no one? no one can help me out with this one?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Put the card in monitor mode and then run wireshark?
    Or TCPdump and see what happens.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

If I put the card in monitor mode, and then run wireshark, I get a whole lot of data, presumably encrypted, i'm not sure. I tried going into preferences and then IEEE 802.11 and I enabled decryption and typed in my WEP key, but it didn't seem to do anything. Or at least that's what it looks like. Maybe I need to filter it so that it only captures packets from or to a certain AP, i haven't tried that actually. But yea, in response to your question, when I put it in WEP mode, I get a whole lot of data that I can't interpret.

I know how normal data is supposed to look because I used to have a belkin PCI card that worked perfectly in promiscuous mode. So I know what i'm looking for. Thanks for your help btw, i appreciate it.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by btnoob View Post
    If I put the card in monitor mode, and then run wireshark, I get a whole lot of data, presumably encrypted, i'm not sure. I tried going into preferences and then IEEE 802.11 and I enabled decryption and typed in my WEP key, but it didn't seem to do anything. Or at least that's what it looks like. Maybe I need to filter it so that it only captures packets from or to a certain AP, i haven't tried that actually. But yea, in response to your question, when I put it in WEP mode, I get a whole lot of data that I can't interpret.

I know how normal data is supposed to look because I used to have a belkin PCI card that worked perfectly in promiscuous mode. So I know what i'm looking for. Thanks for your help btw, i appreciate it.
    You said it, filter/s
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

filters, huh? so that's the only way to go about it? so technically, promiscuous mode doesn't work with this adapter, you have to put it on monitor mode and then use filters?

i'll try that and let you know if i see anything that i recognize.