Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gps + kismet. terrible gps delay of 10sec

Quote Originally Posted by dani0101 View Post
    unfortunately i got problems compiling the older GPSD versions. No problem compiling the new version on bt4b :\

btw.
    any suggestions how to check the GPS delay without moving?
    dont really want move with my laptop on the street every time i wanna check the gps delay problem.
    Short answer: RTFM for your GPSr, and RTFM for gpsd. Seriously.

Longer answers:
    RTFM for your GPSr: GPS receivers differ widely in setting that are available to the user. A simple setting on the GPSr (e.g. toggling the WAAS status, if you have it) might make a huge difference in the behavior of how the GPSr and gpsd work together.

RTFM for gpsd: There are a number of CLI parameters in gpsd that will modify the behavior of the program, and might be needed by you for your specific GPSr. Familiarizing yourself with them could be a big help. You might see something that jumps out at you.

Some other random bits of GPSr/gpsd/kismet advice:
    • Running a simple telnet session into the gpsd port and reading GPS sentences can tell you a lot about what's going on.
    • Geodetic Datum matters. Check whether your GPSr is reporting NAD27, NAD83, WGS84, or another datum. This alone can account for huge differences in distance (100m+) on where you are verses where the GPSr reports you as being. Kismet wants to see WGS84.
    • Satellite locks matter. A whole host of problems can crop up if the GPSr doesn't have a clear sky view, and can't establish a good satellite lock. Most GPSr's on the market want to have a lock on at least three "birds" before they lock and report 2D locations. Five or more may be needed for a 3D position. This can be a real issue in larger cities' "concrete canyons" or if you don't get a good lock before the GPSr sends it's data to gpsd.
    • Speaking the right language matters. Make sure the GPS sentences are formatted as NMEA 2.1 greater. This is what Kismet expects to see.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

the GPSD seems not be the problem for the 6-10seconds delay.

i just run xgps (all without gpsd! just "hcitool" and "rfcomm") and i compared the time
    between the GPS-clock and my clock in my room (radio syncronised).
    there is a delay of about 6-7 seconds.

THEN:
    i connected the same gps-bluetooth to my PDA and compared the gps-clock there with my clock in my room.
    = almost non difference. max. 1 second delay!

So GPSD and kismet is not the problem.
    There must be something else.

any more suggestions ppl?

the GPSD seems not be the problem for the 6-10seconds delay.

i just run xgps (all without gpsd! just "hcitool" and "rfcomm") and i compared the time
    between the GPS-clock and my clock in my room (radio syncronised).
    there is a delay of about 6-7 seconds.

THEN:
    i connected the same gps-bluetooth to my PDA and compared the gps-clock there with my clock in my room.
    = almost non difference. max. 1 second delay!

So GPSD and kismet is not the problem.
    There must be something else.

any more suggestions ppl?
    Sounds like a delay in the Bluetooth stack. You might want to take a look at those settings.
    Thorn

Just burned his ISO

... now i checked my gps-bluetooth mouse on BT3 .
    NO DELAY AT ALL!!!

in my last reply i wrote that i didn't run gpsd. I gues i was wrong gpsd was uned. So it can be that gpsd is the reason for the gps delay.
    unfortunately i cann't find out which version of GPSD is in BT3 (no info at all?! :\)

do you ppl know which GPSD version is installed on BT3 (final) and on BT4B?

... now i checked my gps-bluetooth mouse on BT3 .
    NO DELAY AT ALL!!!

in my last reply i wrote that i didn't run gpsd. I gues i was wrong gpsd was uned. So it can be that gpsd is the reason for the gps delay.
    unfortunately i cann't find out which version of GPSD is in BT3 (no info at all?! :\)

do you ppl know which GPSD version is installed on BT3 (final) and on BT4B?
    Code:
    gpsd -V
    I wasn't kidding when I said "RTFM"!
    Thorn

Just burned his ISO

I just noted that the GPSD version in BT4b is the same as in BT3f (GPSD v2.37).

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Short answer: RTFM for your GPSr, and RTFM for gpsd. Seriously.

Longer answers:
    RTFM for your GPSr: GPS receivers differ widely in setting that are available to the user. A simple setting on the GPSr (e.g. toggling the WAAS status, if you have it) might make a huge difference in the behavior of how the GPSr and gpsd work together.

RTFM for gpsd: There are a number of CLI parameters in gpsd that will modify the behavior of the program, and might be needed by you for your specific GPSr. Familiarizing yourself with them could be a big help. You might see something that jumps out at you.

Some other random bits of GPSr/gpsd/kismet advice:
    • Running a simple telnet session into the gpsd port and reading GPS sentences can tell you a lot about what's going on.
    • Geodetic Datum matters. Check whether your GPSr is reporting NAD27, NAD83, WGS84, or another datum. This alone can account for huge differences in distance (100m+) on where you are verses where the GPSr reports you as being. Kismet wants to see WGS84.
    • Satellite locks matter. A whole host of problems can crop up if the GPSr doesn't have a clear sky view, and can't establish a good satellite lock. Most GPSr's on the market want to have a lock on at least three "birds" before they lock and report 2D locations. Five or more may be needed for a 3D position. This can be a real issue in larger cities' "concrete canyons" or if you don't get a good lock before the GPSr sends it's data to gpsd.
    • Speaking the right language matters. Make sure the GPS sentences are formatted as NMEA 2.1 greater. This is what Kismet expects to see.

I don't get how can i try to fix the problem according to your upper post.
    Tell me more what you mean / how can i try to fix that

RTFM means "Read the fine manual". He is telling you to "man gpsd" and start playing around with the various settings and command line arguments to see if that provides any improvement to your performance.

That's the same way most linux users have learned how to do various things, by reading the manual and then playing around with the various options.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I just noted that the GPSD version in BT4b is the same as in BT3f (GPSD v2.37).

RTFM = Read the Fine Manual
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

It would be hard to make it much plainer... I give up.
    Thorn

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    It would be hard to make it much plainer... I give up.
    Could you drive to his house and set it up for him?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast