Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Win, Ubuntu & other os over BT4beta - best virtual machine

Just burned his ISO

Default Running Win, Ubuntu & other os over BT4beta - best virtual machine

Hi all,
    I'm loving BT4 and now I'm choosing a virtual machine to install win and other os under BT4.

I need a suggestion:
    which vm (vmware, vbox ecc.) do you suggest ? Which is the best to run inside BT4 beta?

Please report me your experience...
    Thanks.

ch4rli3

you are posting the question in wrong section.this section is intended for HOWTO do a particular task and not for asking how to do?

Good friend of the forums

anyway, this thread could be moved, the guy needs help.
    Don't post in the wrong sections!!

now, you just try for yourlsef - depends on what you need in bt, but I would recommend vbox as it's pretty free and pretty good. if you need advanced networking, virtual networks, teams, booting from usb etc - vmware. that will cost you like, 100 bucks? your choice. vbox is very fast and lightweight, on system resources, too.

i would agree with xorred, go with virtualbox. its a great tool thats simple to set up and work with. you can get the latest .deb file from their website and dpkg it.

edit: [offtopic] excellent link posted on my other thread there xorred. definatly bookmarked it. [/offtopic]
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Another vote for VirtualBox, the latest release added ALOT of nice features and it free.

I like VMware workstation since mine studying for my VCP but the price could be the deciding point.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks very much for your help!
    Virtualbox it's ok for me (I try it with ubuntu host and win guest).

I googled a lot and I find a lot of guide or info on how to install backtrack over vbox but no one for install vbox over bt...
    Any help? Thanks!

Ch4rlie

Quote Originally Posted by ch4rli3 View Post
    Thanks very much for your help!
    Virtualbox it's ok for me (I try it with ubuntu host and win guest).

I googled a lot and I find a lot of guide or info on how to install backtrack over vbox but no one for install vbox over bt...
    Any help? Thanks!

Ch4rlie
    Well just because no one has written a tutorial before, doesn't mean it's rocket science installing it.
    Try reading VirtualBox's documentation.
    - Poul Wittig

just download the .deb and go from there. bt4 is ubuntu based.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

I also agree that Virtualbox is a good solution. I've been using Vbox since version 2.0.6.

One thing worth noting, as I didn't see it mentioned earlier in the post, the Open Source Edition (OSE) doesn't allow you to work with your USB. This is only a problem if you want to run wireless devices through your USB interface.

Instead download the PUEL (ie. Personal Use and Evaluation License) version or else go with VMWare.

Just burned his ISO

This is a very interesting coversation. I now plan on installing virtual os's with vulnerabilities and practice on them. I have a usb flash drive with bt4 on it, is this a bad idea on a flash drive? Also does anyone one know where to get a vulnerable windows image that u can use (or should I just use a default install with no patches? ).

this will be interesting. i was previously using another box on my wireless network at home to play with. if I get virtual machines running on my laptop then i can work on the go away from home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast