Thread: Linksys (Cisco) IP Camera Fail

Hybrid View

Default Linksys (Cisco) IP Camera Fail

I came across this post yesterday and found it quite funny so I thought I'd share.

http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/hacki...-cameras-pt-1/

Reminds me of some of my daily reads like thedailywtf and failblog.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

I saw that as well. There's actually quite a few products by Linksys that have those setup wizards. I bet there's more products that are susceptible to the same kind of 'attack'.

Of course, the only real issue is this is that most of those setup programs only work on the same subnet as the device, so someone would have to be physically on your LAN, or exploit your wireless.

It would probably be wise for them to configure their devices that they don't respond to the setup Wizard unless they're currently in their default state, but once you make a single configuration change to it, it no longer responds.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

It would probably be wise for them to configure their devices that they don't respond to the setup Wizard unless they're currently in their default state, but once you make a single configuration change to it, it no longer responds.
    That would take effort for the programmers, they're not paid for that. Besides, they're pos cameras anyway.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69