Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wake On Wan troubles

Default Wake On Wan troubles

After succesfully waking up a PC on my LAN at home using internet based Depicus i am having difficulty doing it over a WAN ie the internet.
    I am using an o2 wireless box 2 and have a port forwarded to my pc which works when i am connected internally but not outside of my network. Does anyone have any suggestions - ultimately i would like to fire up my pc remotely rather than leaving it on all the time.

Also i use bt4 as a vm image on windows vista what is the best way to try and capture a 'magic packet' can it be done using wireshark in bt as an image or does it have to be on the raw pc ie on vista.

Thanks in advance for any input i've been at this wol thing for days now
    My Blog
    http://hackingmidasgold.blogspot.com
    Some days i feel like King Midas in Reverse - everything i touch turns to sh*t...............

Best would be to have a router which can send the magic packet to the machine.

Should be possible with i.e. OpenWrt.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KingMidas View Post
    After succesfully waking up a PC on my LAN at home using internet based Depicus i am having difficulty doing it over a WAN ie the internet.
    I am using an o2 wireless box 2 and have a port forwarded to my pc which works when i am connected internally but not outside of my network. Does anyone have any suggestions - ultimately i would like to fire up my pc remotely rather than leaving it on all the time.
    As KMDave said, Turn on port forwarding at your firewall/internet router.

Also i use bt4 as a vm image on windows vista what is the best way to try and capture a 'magic packet' can it be done using wireshark in bt as an image or does it have to be on the raw pc ie on vista.

You should be able to capture the magic packet in wireshark on your BT image.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by KingMidas View Post

I don't believe the magic packet is able to transverse different subnets. You must send it on the same subnet.

I have read where someone theorized they could pass it through routers, but I never found router configurations that did it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I don't believe the magic packet is able to transverse different subnets. You must send it on the same subnet.

I have read where someone theorized they could pass it through routers, but I never found router configurations that did it.
    I'm thinking the same thing.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Looks like somebodies patented the idea:

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/59...scription.html

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

The easiest solution for this would be to have a WOL function on the LAN side of the internet facing router. That function would need to be able to be triggered from the WAN side via the Administration interface.

The way I handle it right now is I VPN to my network, then I wake up my desktop PC in my office. This works because when I VPN I'm effectively on the same subnet as my desktop. What I cannot do is wake up a machine across my T1 via the VPN connection because it's on a different subnet.

Using extensive Google-fu' turns up this article, which will probably help.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index...ge=0&Itemid=53
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    The easiest solution for this would be to have a WOL function on the LAN side of the internet facing router. That function would need to be able to be triggered from the WAN side via the Administration interface.

The way I handle it right now is I VPN to my network, then I wake up my desktop PC in my office. This works because when I VPN I'm effectively on the same subnet as my desktop. What I cannot do is wake up a machine across my T1 via the VPN connection because it's on a different subnet.

Using extensive Google-fu' turns up this article, which will probably help.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index...ge=0&Itemid=53
    I run something similar to streaker. I Wake on Modem to my VPN server (if it is down), then VPN in and run WOL from it. But, this is only on 1 LAN segment.

I've created something simillar on the firewall I have running. If it receives a correct portknock it will start my main machine via WoL.

You might want to check if you can install OpenWRT on your router.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Thanks for the advice, i have wrt54g on my linksys cable router, however i now have this o2 wireless box, i'm thinking of disabling all firewall etc on the o2 box and connecting the linksys to it to handle all other functions in bridged mode. what is the best way to go about getting WOL or WOW to work with a dd-wrt router - thanks guys apreciate the help
    My Blog
    http://hackingmidasgold.blogspot.com
    Some days i feel like King Midas in Reverse - everything i touch turns to sh*t...............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast