Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US Government HIRING "hackers"?

Developer

I agree with you 100% but from my personal experience with having some drug related law violations from when I was younger employers are not very forgiving. Its probably the one thing that may keep me out of IT and continuing in the career I currently have. Which is a good one and I make lots of money however its not what I want to be doing.

Well, you could open a good debate about a lot of stuff in criminal justice, including whether or not we should even have things drug laws in the first place. However, as far as using such people in LE though, the bottom line is that you use them as intelligence sources, but you never, ever, trust them with being a member of the team. By their very nature, such people are suspect in their motivation. Trusting them would just shoot your operational security all to hell.

This furthers my point. Your saying that just becasue someone may have held up a convenient store 15 years ago, did a few years in prison and got out and hasnt had so much as a traffic violation since and can prove he is doing things to benifit the community he should never again be trusted. Seems a little harsh.

BTW. Good to have you back Thorn. Maybe you could offer your opinion on my wpa cracker thread. I need some legal perspective please

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I agree with you 100% but from my personal experience with having some drug related law violations from when I was younger employers are not very forgiving. Its probably the one thing that may keep me out of IT and continuing in the career I currently have. Which is a good one and I make lots of money however its not what I want to be doing.
    What is really unfortunate for someone in your position is that chances are you'd be hired by the actual hiring manager if they'd meet you, but the scum-sucking lowlife HR person wouldn't let you get past the initial screening process.

Did I mention that I despise lowlife scum-sucking shit for brains HR people, who couldn't get a real job? The only people lower than them are high school guidance counselors, and they're the ones that couldn't make it as HR people in the real world.

This furthers my point. Your saying that just becasue someone may have held up a convenient store 15 years ago, did a few years in prison and got out and hasnt had so much as a traffic violation since and can prove he is doing things to benifit the community he should never again be trusted. Seems a little harsh.
    I'm not saying that they can't be, I'm saying society perceives it that way. Perception and reality are not always the same thing.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

What is really unfortunate for someone in your position is that chances are you'd be hired by the actual hiring manager if they'd meet you, but the scum-sucking lowlife HR person wouldn't let you get past the initial screening process.
    Yes I'm sure this is true. I'm not going to get discouraged. I know enough people that eventually someone will give me a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I didn't say someone in those circumstances can't be trusted in general, but specifically in a LE setting, it would be foolish. Might it work on an individual basis? Sure. But statistically, the odds are such that you can't take that chance.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I didn't say someone in those circumstances can't be trusted in general, but specifically in a LE setting, it would be foolish. Might it work on an individual basis? Sure. But statistically, the odds are such that you can't take that chance.
    Fair enough.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Did I mention that I despise lowlife scum-sucking shit for brains HR people, who couldn't get a real job? The only people lower than them are high school guidance counselors, and they're the ones that couldn't make it as HR people in the real world.
    Two very sad but true statements there. Not to go to far off topic but we had to lay off some people and we of course tried to place the guys into other parts/jobs within the company. Well we gave one guy a management job, in another department because he was not good enough to be in the department that had to do layoffs. That was a beautiful approach by the HR people.

Back on topic: I think that as you have stated purh@te the connections that you have made will be invaluable, when you decide to make a career move. If you don't mind you go probably look at some contracting work overseas. But as things are going this is starting to die down a bit. But it might help you get your foot in the door.
    There will always be a need for someone to do contracting work in other parts of the world. The pay is usually good, the hours usually stink but it gets you in the door.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12