Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Added GNOME, removed KDE, but a few problems...

Just burned his ISO

Default Added GNOME, removed KDE, but a few problems...

I used the commands on www(dot)psychocats(dot)net/ubuntu/puregnome on a real install of backtrack 4 to get a gnome interface. it works well, but there are a few major problems. first, the network doesnt work, even when you initialize the networking daemon. it appears dhcp got removed, and i cant seem to install it. also, i cant mount a cd because the mount points are wrong and i cant seem to change the mount settings. the third major problem is the startup. the text-based screen with all the init and the login breeze through, but right before it asks me to log in it jumps straight to the ubuntu login screen. i had to boot into an ubuntu live cd and edit the gdm.conf file just to log in. can anyone help me? i refuse to use KDE, and GNOME is really nice. I really wat to get this working. thx

DHCP wasn't removed, it is just called dhclient and not dhcpcd anymore in BT4.

Well you know that you can choose the mountpoints? So a proper errormessage would help to figure out what's wrong.

Well there is no Ubuntu login screen in BT4. What are you talking of?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Well there is no Ubuntu login screen in BT4. What are you talking of?
    There is one if you install gnome, its the gdm logon screen and it will say ubuntu. I had planned on doing a write up on installing gnome but rather quickly lost interest in it after I had installed it. Plus I didn't want to go through and try and test everything out.

@ OP if you get to that screen and then hold ctrl + alt you can switch terminals with f1-f7
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Well it is all basic installation and configuration stuff which is not exactly BT related.

@OP

Why do you want to use BT at all?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Well it is all basic installation and configuration stuff which is not exactly BT related.
    That too, in a sense.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Default see...

thanks all for your responses; the cd wont mount, but there is no error message because it doesnt recognize anything as happening when i insert it. as for dhcp, i reinstalled dhcp through synaptic, but still no luck. i even run the network daemon through /etc/init.d/networking start and it runs as normal, but keeps trying different portals. for now i would like to at least get my wired configuration up (oh byw when you left-click on the net config icon in the upper right in gnome, it says "wired connection; not managed" or something). also, i liked the login screen before with the saying at the bottom and it said backtrack, now its just text. and it doesnt let me log in there. before the switch, it would make me startx to enter gui, but a few commands before the log in, it says 'starting gnome window manager' so it is being autostarted. where can i change the settings for this (or the startup phase in general?) thanks for being so patient and helpful.

Just burned his ISO

Default hmm

ok i fixed the internet issue, and the mount issue kinda. still cant access cd though. im working hard on configuring this, but would love it if s linux ninja could just take BT4 and keep it exactly the same, just with the ubuntu desktop instead of KDE. everything else exactly the same. btw ubuntu desktop needs a bit of configuring. PLEASE somebody do this because im amateur and i am having problems. anyway, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by ansabhailte View Post
    ok i fixed the internet issue, and the mount issue kinda. still cant access cd though. im working hard on configuring this, but would love it if s linux ninja could just take BT4 and keep it exactly the same, just with the ubuntu desktop instead of KDE. everything else exactly the same. btw ubuntu desktop needs a bit of configuring. PLEASE somebody do this because im amateur and i am having problems. anyway, yeah.
    Say it with me now, "There's no such thing as 'Ubuntu desktop'" There's Gnome and KDE, and a bunch of light weight window managers.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by ansabhailte View Post
    btw ubuntu desktop needs a bit of configuring. PLEASE somebody do this because im amateur and i am having problems. anyway, yeah.
    So, everyone is just supposed to guess what you're having problems with and some how solve it via PFM?

Please don't answer, that was a rhetorical question.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    So, everyone is just supposed to guess what you're having problems with and some how solve it via PFM?

Please don't answer, that was a rhetorical question.
    Just to stop the question.

PFM= Pure Freaking Magic.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast