Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 128 bit WEP Crack help

Just burned his ISO

Default 128 bit WEP Crack help

Hi All,

I have cracked my 40 bit WEP AP finally so I changed the settings to 128 bit I have run Airodump-ng and filtered with “IVS” for two hours up to about 30,000 packets . I then ran the Aircrack-ng and got the message “Failed. Next try with 35,000IVs am I doing this correctly?
    This is a long time to capture packets?

Quote Originally Posted by V2JTB View Post
    Hi All,

I have cracked my 40 bit WEP AP finally so I changed the settings to 128 bit I have run Airodump-ng and filtered with “IVS” for two hours up to about 30,000 packets . I then ran the Aircrack-ng and got the message “Failed. Next try with 35,000IVs am I doing this correctly?
    This is a long time to capture packets?
    You appear to be doing it correctly. I wouldn't start worrying until you get past 70,000 packets and the key doesn't crack. In my experience, around 40000 - 50000 is where 128bit will crack at, but that depends on many things, thats why I gave you the fudge factor to 70,000. If you get that far, just stop the crack and re-run it against the same file. Sometimes, the numbers just don't "compute" correctly. Re-running it will usually work in that case.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Man how many threads do you need to open for cracking da wep?
    Come on now, pay attention.
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=22073
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I will increase my security after what I have found out but is there any way to establish if your AP has been or is getting attacked?

Just burned his ISO

Firstly I would like to apologise if I have broken any rules or done anything that was wrong.

And now for the cheeck bit......Sorry I did not realise there was a limit to posts especially as the forum is headed Newbie Area. If I had your skill and expertise I would be helping people like myself who are new and need the help rather than trying to put people off but thats just me.

I thought the reason for the forum is to share knowledge and encourage development no matter how small. In my case very small and slow development, but I am enjoying the topic.

You have a great forum but you need to give the guys a bit of space and time to learn hence the name Newbie Area. Perhaps if I am wrong then why don’t you have a Really Really Newbie Area. I have been reading some of the posts and some replies and they are very arrogant and don’t really need the view and only put the forum in a bad light in my humble opinion. I have only been at this for a few weeks and don't understand your point could you Elaborate because the third post is about AP and security not WEP cracking.

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Well, I do hear you, a bit. But the thing is that the questions coming here are
    very often the same over and over again.
    That will obviously dampen the enthousiasm of those answering..again..and again..

If you put a bit of time into searching the forums, not just once with a certain
    keyword, but in-depth, you will find that most of your queries have an answer
    which can help you out.

Also, flexing your muscles (little grey cells) and trying to improve your google-fu will yield a wealth of information
    which will help you better formulate any questions you may have which cant be found with search.

We all been there, hell I still am.

Just burned his ISO

Hi Tape,

I understand your point and thank you.

I would like to put across my view as a new member.

I though that this forum is for questions and that part of the search function and the research is to use forums like this. I have read over and over again in this forum, comments like go and search Google or use you’re, as you put it you’re grey matter. Personally I think these comments are not constructive and have a tendency to put people off. I think you are all very good at what you do but you need to remember that the Newbie Area is just that.

How bad it is, that a forum can’t be bothered to answer repeated questions,

I understand from the guys who monitor this brilliant forum that they would find this mundane and repetitive. If this is the case then take the Newbie Area away and have your elite forum.

Personally I have no or limited computer experience, I have never burned an ISO image, did not even know what it was. I have had to buy new burning software (Nero 9), new Wi-Fi adaptors and books, I have never used Linux in any form, did not know what WEP or WAP is and the list goes on.

So over the last two weeks it has been a steep learning curve for me, so what really irritates me is that the assumptions from the Senior Member is that we are lazy and can’t be bothered do a search.

I finally set my AP to WEP (40 Bit) and cracked it.......the buzz I got was fantastic. I started on this path to find out how to secure my WiFi connection and have more questions than answers.
    You have a fantastic forum and need to embrace the enthusiasm of new members; I would have thought that would be one of your forums goals. I have this fantastic BT4 CD and I want to learn as I know I have not even scratched the surface. So thank you and thank you for the support.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Hi Tape,

I understand your point and thank you.

I would like to put across my view as a new member.

I though that this forum is for questions and that part of the search function and the research is to use forums like this. I have read over and over again in this forum, comments like go and search Google or use you’re, as you put it you’re grey matter. Personally I think these comments are not constructive and have a tendency to put people off. I think you are all very good at what you do but you need to remember that the Newbie Area is just that.

How bad it is, that a forum can’t be bothered to answer repeated questions,

I understand from the guys who monitor this brilliant forum that they would find this mundane and repetitive. If this is the case then take the Newbie Area away and have your elite forum.

Personally I have no or limited computer experience, I have never burned an ISO image, did not even know what it was. I have had to buy new burning software (Nero 9), new Wi-Fi adaptors and books, I have never used Linux in any form, did not know what WEP or WAP is and the list goes on.

So over the last two weeks it has been a steep learning curve for me, so what really irritates me is that the assumptions from the Senior Member is that we are lazy and can’t be bothered do a search.

I finally set my AP to WEP (40 Bit) and cracked it.......the buzz I got was fantastic. I started on this path to find out how to secure my WiFi connection and have more questions than answers.
    You have a fantastic forum and need to embrace the enthusiasm of new members; I would have thought that would be one of your forums goals. I have this fantastic BT4 CD and I want to learn as I know I have not even scratched the surface. So thank you and thank you for the support.

First and foremost
    This is one of the rules you agreed to when you signed up.
    Now that we have that out of the way, let me help you with a few other things. Most of the members here want you to learn, as such most of them will not spoonfeed you! Try reading and reading and reading. Every question you have had here has been answered a million times over. I guarantee you that your first ten questions have been answered and as such you could have saved yourself some time by searching a little more. You also have to remember that you are fighting an uphill battle against the thousands of itards that came before you. Also this is a forum for a pentesting distro and as such it is expected that you have some sort of knowledge in basic unix and networking.
    Now let's move on.
    WEP = FAIL and there is nothing else to be said about it.
    If you want to crack it by all means go ahead, but you are wasting your own time. There is no need to "test it'.
    Ok so you want to move into pentesting or whatever you want to call it fine. First thing you need to do is define some goals for yourself.
    What it is you want to accomplish. Then read up on the subject.
    Tell us what you goals are and be specific and we can point you into the right direction.
    After you have figured out how to crack wireless networks then your next step would be to associate with said network and starting looking for other hosts. Then once you have found those hosts start looking for services on said hosts. You will want to look for ones that are vulnerable.
    An easy way to get started are using the de-ice disks in either a virtual configuration if you only have one pc/laptop. Or booting the disks as livecds if you have more than one. You could also use a vm image of win xp and do the same basic things.

Ok so I hope you have enough info without having to do your own research into the subject to decide where to go.
    Once you can clearly define where it is you want to go hit back in this thread and we can further you along.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I need to start by saying that your Forum is brilliant and thank you for the response.

I am very surprised by your post.

You added the rules that as you say I agreed to when I signed up.

What rule has been broken?

You commented “It is expected that you have some sort of knowledge in basic UNIX and networking”, why and where does it say that in your rules?

I am astonished by the tone and terminology used, is an itard someone who has no Basic knowledge of UNIX?

I assume then the Newbie Area will be changed to the basic UNIX, networking and Newbie area and we need to sit some test to join in the forum in the future? only joking.

“WEP = FAIL and there is nothing else to be said about it”, Why, is the comment constructive and did this help in any way?

I am interested in WEP as my network originally had WEP, I did not know any better. It has sparked an interest and curiosity for me to learn. Perhaps to an expert like you this may be the case and as WEP is not cutting edge you’re not that interested. All of this is completely new to me and my assumption is that this is the same for many other members.

What is the harm in trying to understand and learn about WEP most of my friends use WEP at home, so I need to tell them the dangers now.

Last point, another Senior Members advice to me was "I personally would start with WEP cracking and understand how all that works and then graduate to WPA cracking".

I want to thank you for your time and apologise for anything that I have done wrong or any rule that has been broken.

This is the first forum that I have experienced such full on, even in the Newbie area. I understand that you are all experts and that you are all very talented people I am sorry to have “Dumbed” your forum down. I will curve my posts.

I am astonished by the tone and terminology used, is an itard someone who has no Basic knowledge of UNIX?
    Here's my favorite definition of what an itard is:

A term used to describe the late Generation y and current Gen Z kids that live in an over-simplified on-demand world of instant material, emotional and general gratification.

The oversimplification of tasks is especially relevent to what is normally something very complicated.

iTards do not have the ability to think for themselves, exhibit no problem solving skills and are unable to do anything unless it involves pressing a single large glassy button.

Google is far too complicated for the average iTard, they would rather just ask someone to find something for them.
    I found that definition by searching Google for the word "itard" by the way - it was in the third search result. Searching Google is usually a good way to find out the definition of words you don't know. Its also generally much quicker than asking on forums.

The reason that replies around here sometimes seem harsh is that publicly pointing out when someone has asked a question that they could have easily found the answer to themselves, or which has already been asked a number of times, is like self policing of the forum. It stops the forum from being drowned in irrelevance and repetition, which in turn prevents the clueful participants from getting fed up and leaving. Basically it helps repel the itards, hopefully leaving only the people who may actually be able to be helped.

This has all been said before however (its even mentioned on this forum), so I will just redirect you to the following, which I suggest you read:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast