Thread: About the Dragon...

Just burned his ISO

Default About the Dragon...

Let me introduce myself. My name is John Le, and I am a graphic designer and artist. I do this both professionally and as a hobby. I found out about BackTrack and this site through deviantART.com, a popular art community where I post up my hobby work.

Unfortunately, I come here not feeling too pleased. And I come here with an "open letter" because this misconception needs to be cleared with the general public and the people over at dA. It has come to my attention my Dragon has been used inappropriately here. I am the original creator of the Dragon:

dragonkahn.deviantart.com/art/Sleek-and-Sporty-528791
    dragonkahn.deviantart.com/art/DKz-Dragons-528778

I've had quite a few people informing me that BackTrack is using my work. Some have gone on to say that I've ripped the Dragon from BT since it is so popular. I like to go on record that, (I have slowed down recently with my activity at dA) I was pretty popular over on deviantART back then, which probably explains why my Dragon is so popular and seen everywhere now. You guys aren't even the only Linux distro to use my Dragon (I have informed them also).

It pains me to see that people are accusing me that my artwork is ripped off someone else; the same artwork that I actually put my time, heart, and effort into. It's probably the worst feeling an artist can experience. This is where I draw the line. I ask that BT should mention my name somewhere on the product (so it leaves no doubt in the user's mind that I am the creator, and not come at me with the accusations) or take it down completely.

I'm all for the free and open-source movement. I don't make money off of my hobby work either. I do what I do because I enjoy it, and I'm sure you guys do too. But please, out of respect of others' work, do not use them without permission from their creators.

Thanks,
    John Le a.k.a. "dragonkahn"

Developer

I'm pretty sure you got credit in the bt2 release. We already had a whole thread on this a while back. I will bring your concerns up with the team. Also its pretty lame to post a thread about this in my opinion, you should just private message one of the mods or admins to get it cleared up. A public spectacle never ends well for any parties involved.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I'm pretty sure you got credit in the bt2 release. We already had a whole thread on this a while back. I will bring your concerns up with the team. Also its pretty lame to post a thread about this in my opinion, you should just private message one of the mods or admins to get it cleared up. A public spectacle never ends well for any parties involved.
    Thanks for the response. I am just basing off of what I'm experiencing. People coming to me with these accusations led me to believe there was no credit given. If you can link me that thread, it would be appreciated.

By having an open, direct convo between the parties involved, I could use this for the people at dA. If the BT team has no bad intentions or have nothing to hide regarding this issue, then I can't see why there's no reason to have an open discussion.

Regards,
    John

I know that proper credit was given to you as the artist, I cannot remember if it was in the site, the forum or within one of the releases at the moment.
    As pureh@te said there have been discussion threads on this too where you were given credit as the creator, but it is possible that during one of the reincarnations of the forum they were lost.

I do agree that it would have been better to take this up with Muts Max or Martin, or one of the mods or admins in private, where it can be discussed in a civilised manner.

By posting it here it is likely to attract a lot of useless comments from people who have no place to be commenting.

SO THIS POST IS OPEN IN CASE dragonkhan WANTS TO RESPOND
    I THEREFORE ASK THAT NO OTHER MEMBER RESPOND HERE

THANK YOU

Developer

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...ghlight=dragon

Is one of the threads on the issue where you will notice you are given proper credit.

Just burned his ISO

Well let me be the first to thank you dragonkahn for your artwork!

You should submit another version of said dragon to be included with bt4 final and ask that a link be included to your website

Never underestimate the power of some good advertising

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by static-eratic View Post
    Well let me be the first to thank you dragonkahn for your artwork!

You should submit another version of said dragon to be included with bt4 final and ask that a link be included to your website

Never underestimate the power of some good advertising
    I guess you cant read very well huh?

Code:
    SO THIS POST IS OPEN IN CASE dragonkhan WANTS TO RESPOND
    I THEREFORE ASK THAT NO OTHER MEMBER RESPOND HERE