Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Few Questions about Rainbow Tables.

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    i've done quite a bit of research on the subject already but i'm having trouble figuring out how everything works as one.

    question#1

    i've been to church of wifi and tried to download the 33gb file, didn't work. so i checked the guy that uploaded 1000 essid tables. so before i get to into it.

    when using a rainbow table you have to have a set essid? or is it possible to just get a handshake and use a rainbow table with any essid? probably a stupid quetion but i couldn't figure it out.

    question#2

    wpa falls under which category? LM, WD5, NTLM? i've read that LM has nothing to do with WPA. is this correct?

    question#3

    from what i've learned is that LanManager is passwords that windows uses. like logging into your computer? i'm probably wrong so can anyone let me in on what LM passwords are really about?

    one more thing if there is a tutorial on the subject can someone point me in the right direction. plz

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday51225 View Post
    question#1

    i've been to church of wifi and tried to download the 33gb file, didn't work. so i checked the guy that uploaded 1000 essid tables. so before i get to into it.

    when using a rainbow table you have to have a set essid? or is it possible to just get a handshake and use a rainbow table with any essid? probably a stupid quetion but i couldn't figure it out.
    No, the WPA key is a combination of the password salted with the ssid. So you need to use a table created with that specific ssid to try to crack it.


    question#2

    wpa falls under which category? LM, WD5, NTLM? i've read that LM has nothing to do with WPA. is this correct?
    None of the above. WPA uses the PBKDF2 hash function.

    question#3

    from what i've learned is that LanManager is passwords that windows uses. like logging into your computer? i'm probably wrong so can anyone let me in on what LM passwords are really about?
    LM is one of the techniques that windows uses for password hashing. Others are NTLM, NTLMv2, and Kerberos. Google will be your friend to find out more about these.

  3. #3
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    No, the WPA key is a combination of the password salted with the ssid. So you need to use a table created with that specific ssid to try to crack it.
    first of all thanks for answering these questions. one last question can you point me in the direction on which program creates wpa rainbow tables?

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday51225 View Post
    first of all thanks for answering these questions. one last question can you point me in the direction on which program creates wpa rainbow tables?
    rtgen and google is still your friend.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •