Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: howto configure static ip that sticks permanently

Well, they say that in Linux there are many ways to do things, and no one way is necessarily the "correct" way.

That method is probably a bit overly complicated though, and does rely on starting the X server for networking to start (as already mentioned). There are other startup files you could use for this to avoid the X dependency, if this was the way you wanted to go about it. But really, just editing the interfaces file is the easiest way to go, especially as its the source file for the IP networking configuration for your network interfaces (which probably explains the filename....)

At least someones thinking and trying things out for themselves rather than putting in no effort and begging on the forums for an answer. That's a nice change of pace...
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Developer

Thats all I'm saying is that relying on the X server to start networking is "incorrect" per say. Whatever works for him I guess is fine although if I were him I would be more concerned with why the normal method that works for millions doesn't work for him.

I just statically assign an IP on my dhcp server.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    thanks, ... i think.

Anyways, it's the only method that works for me, so i'm ok with crazy.
    If it works for you, and you're happy with it, then (shows hand in salute)...you charge on!

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Thats all I'm saying is that relying on the X server to start networking is "incorrect" per say. Whatever works for him I guess is fine although if I were him I would be more concerned with why the normal method that works for millions doesn't work for him.
    I understand where you're coming from. I was tempted to post "In Linux they say there is no right or wrong way to do something, but that way is wrong", however Im trying a thing where I be nice to everyone for a month.

Its proving very challenging.

No, just kidding. I was happy to see someone putting some effort in to solve their own problems though, which is why I wanted to give the guy some encouragement... however its also good to point out like you did that there is a correct and "official" way to do things. Using the proper method will help save time, develop good habits and help avoid weird issues that might occur with particular bits of software if you perform non-standard configuration.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12