Default Flash & AIR Adobe Install Guide

Updating/Installing to the latest Adobe FlashPlayer Plugin

get.adobe.com/flashplayer
    select version to download
    .tar.gz for Linux
    I agree / save to disk.

Change directory to where you have downloaded the tar.gz file to;
    cd /root

tar xzf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz && cd install_flash_player_10_linux && flashplayer-installer

Installer starts..
    Press Enter
    Press Enter to continue.

Enter Mozilla install path (this is the default FireFox path on BackTrack 3);
    /usr/lib/firefox

Installing Adobe AIR
    Hi has anyone been able to install AIR to BackTrack 3?

get.adobe.com/air
    Download now / save to disk

Change directory to where you have downloaded the BIN file to;
    cd /root

chmod 755 AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

Error loading the runtime (libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

Can anyone tell me why its giving this error, am I installing this correctly?

upgrade to backtrack 4 try again
    They ran this hack in V.M.O., so I'm isolating the A.P.I., and just booting the host. -Matthew Farrell

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by war10ck216 View Post
    upgrade to backtrack 4 try again
    Considering that the OP did post in the bt4 beta how to section and did not mention othewise one would have to assume that the OP is using bt 4
    So basically you were of no real help. And imho a stupid post at that.

Error loading the runtime (libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
    OP you should look at the error you received. It seems as though it may be telling you something. My guess is that you are missing libnss2.so I would check that first adding as needed.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

@ war10ck216 - I am in the process of upgrading to BT4 atm but it seems abit buggy still at beta release - still would be good to get AIR running on BT3.

@ archangel.amael - Thanks but I tried to search on gogle for the file "libnss2.so" this forum post came up first does anyone know where I can get this file from or what exactly it is?

Thanks for the let will let you know if it works on BT4.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwaltz View Post
    @ war10ck216 - I am in the process of upgrading to BT4 atm but it seems abit buggy still at beta release - still would be good to get AIR running on BT3.

@ archangel.amael - Thanks but I tried to search on gogle for the file "libnss2.so" this forum post came up first does anyone know where I can get this file from or what exactly it is?

Thanks for the let will let you know if it works on BT4.
    i cant really help you out on this problem but search for libnss3 and libnss3-devel. see if it works if not well trial and error i guess.

if you did upgrade to backtrack4 and still getting the error then just install libnss3 by:
    "apt-get install libnss3 libnss3-dev"
    should work out for you
    They ran this hack in V.M.O., so I'm isolating the A.P.I., and just booting the host. -Matthew Farrell

Quote Originally Posted by war10ck216 View Post
    i cant really help you out on this problem but search for libnss3 and libnss3-devel. see if it works if not well trial and error i guess.
    if you did upgrade to backtrack4 and still getting the error then just install libnss3 by:
    "apt-get install libnss3 libnss3-dev"
    should work out for you
    Are you trying to get the OP to switch to bt4 for some specific reason or are you not reading? Either way it's not much help.
    The OP's error stated
    Code:
    Then you tell him to search for libnss3 or a dev library??
    Come one now!

@ OP BT3 ships with firefox 2.0.0.10 and flash plugin working and installed into /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.10/plugins. As soon as you upgrade it then you can have problems and lose the plugins. The solution is to move the .so into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

This is a fault in slax which symlinks /usr/libfirefox-$LATEST_VERSION with /usr/lib/firefox and all the plugins installed get lost as soon as the browser is updated.

If you no longer have the library in the above directories then, you can copy it over from a live cd.

Post back if you need more help.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

im having a problem installing the flash player. i get all the way to where it asks what directory to install to. i used /usr/lib/mozilla and ive tried /usr/lib/firefox. but it keeps telling me the directory doesnt exist. I am using a flash drive with persistent changes.

Nevermind!! I think I figured it out. I think it worked when I used /usr/lib/firefox-x.x.x (the X's being the version number.

tar xzf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz && cd install_flash_player_10_linux && flashplayer-installer
    Instead of using the installer why not just manually install it like archangel.amael mentioned.
    Code:
    # tar xzf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz && cd install_flash_player_10_linux
    # install -m 0755 libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    I've never had a problem with the plugin disappearing after subsequent upgrades to firefox. I always use a slackbuild to install software as it is easier to manage.
    Installing Adobe AIR
    Hi has anyone been able to install AIR to BackTrack 3?
    Since you said you're using BT3, the binary file won't install on platforms that don't support the rpm or deb format. At best you'd have to download their SDK and hack a working solution. The easiest way to get Adobe Air on the system is to upgrade to BT4 as it is Ubuntu based.

The problem with firefox and BT is that firefox defaults to being installed into /opt on a normal installation, so that multiple users can access and have their settings saved in a "home" type directory. However with BT being setup for one user "root" this can sometimes present a problem.
    I covered this topic for bt4 yesterday here in post 15.
    The same applies to bt3
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

finaly

dl install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz to desktop
    open console and write
    tar xzf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz - enter
    cd install_flash_player_10_linux - enter
    '/root/Desktop/install_flash_player_10_linux/flashplayer-installer' - enter
    then when you will ask the path
    /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.5