Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: online wpa cracker

its an interesting idea, but what if the wpa password is not on the wordlist? would you provide a refund?
    personally i think you should go with it, and if someone decides to use it for evil purposes, there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, as far as you know they are doing it for testing purposes on their account. but again, thats my opinion, im very business like so im always thinking about ways to get the money rather than follow the proper ethics. if you put you ethics aside, you can make a hell of alotta money with this idea.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I think that the idea itself pureh@te is good and your intentions with it are good as well. But I think that as cybrsnpr mentioned the Non-Disclosure Agreement may be a big hindrance of using this in an actual paid pentest.
    The data would/could be considered proprietary. As such companies may not want their hashes being uploaded someplace outside of their control.
    As an example I am not allowed to store anything "government" on my company laptop but I can access it all I need/want to. The servers that hold the data are controlled by a third party (CSC in this case). Now the only reason for this is due to non-disclosure agreements. If I lose the laptop for some reason I don't have a lot of secret whatever that can get me in trouble ( the laptop itself is a different story). This keeps the company and the Government "clean"

I am wondering how you could ensure that the data you have is not stored and can not be re-accessed.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    I think that the idea itself pureh@te is good and your intentions with it are good as well. But I think that as cybrsnpr mentioned the Non-Disclosure Agreement may be a big hindrance of using this in an actual paid pentest.
    The data would/could be considered proprietary. As such companies may not want their hashes being uploaded someplace outside of their control.
    As an example I am not allowed to store anything "government" on my company laptop but I can access it all I need/want to. The servers that hold the data are controlled by a third party (CSC in this case). Now the only reason for this is due to non-disclosure agreements. If I lose the laptop for some reason I don't have a lot of secret whatever that can get me in trouble ( the laptop itself is a different story). This keeps the company and the Government "clean"

I am wondering how you could ensure that the data you have is not stored and can not be re-accessed.
    That is a excellent point and something I have not figured out yet. Idealy I would like all the info to be wiped of the server when the test/cycle is complete however as you have said there is no real way to prove this I dont think. That is my whole dilemma. I dont want to really make money i want to provide a legit service however as you and cybrsnpr have pointed out it may not work the way I want it to and then the only people using it would be kids trying to hack their neighbors. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

If you have any suggestions I'm all ears
    I've been trying to think of some way you can make this work since I felt bad about being the initial bearer of bad news to what is a good idea.

Speaking only from a "how would professional pentesters be able to use this" aspect:

The only way I think you could do this would be to incorporate, get bonded and insured and then enter into NDA's with each entity that wanted to use your services. Even then, I'm not sure that it would be enough in some cases (always dependent on how the client services contract is written). You would still need to take into account seperation of data, data at rest, security in transit and many more things.

For the scenario I gave in my first post to you in this thread, if all of the above was covered, then I as a business, could potentially use your services as you would be a "trusted partner". But I know of some organizations that for many reasons, could never use such an arrangement. I'm afraid you would be left with, as others have mentioned, skiddies trying to hack their neighbors wireless.

Developer

Dont feel bad You comment is the reason I started the thread because I didn't even think of that. Maybe I could make enough money off the skiddies in the first 6 months to get legitimately bonded and insured for sensitive data.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

While getting bonded and insured may be of help, here is another problem that I was looking at before. I wanted to do a little more research before posting. Basically I believe that you would be in violation of U.S. Federal law in that, a party can obtain a communication ( in this case the password hash) they can also know the start and endpoints for said communication but they are not allowed to know the data in the communication. So I can capture the hash but I am not allowed to decode it. Or even if it is plain text view it.
    On the other hand the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, 18 U.S.C.§ 1030 (the "CFAA") states that,
    The CFAA imposes liability on anyone who:
    Knowingly traffics illegally in passwords or other access credentials that allow unauthorized access to a computer, if that traffic effects interstate or foreign commerce or the computer is used by or for the United States government [4];
    The question here is what is "traffics illegally" because as such pen-testers may have a need to do such a thing ( capture password, decode it, and then use it to gain access to the target). However we know that in the US there are legal pen-test companies. So since they have a contract with Rules of Engagement, I would gather that as long as the rules state that such things are in agreement with the contract that it would be ok.
    As such a service like yours would be ok to use. But this leads us to another problem, How can you verify that the submitted data is legal?
    You would need a way to verify what you receive is legally obtained, otherwise you would be in violation of the law. So as long as a pen-tester is able to do such things it would only be a matter of writing into the contract that your service/s may be used in order to decode a password hash. If a company chooses to have a pen-tester audit it's passwords then it should be ok for them to use your service/s to do so. It would be the same case as using "hydra" or "Jtr". The company will in most cases automatically assume full ownership of the data in both the coded and decoded forms. So this means you would have to have a means of proving (if needed) that you store none of that data. But then you may run into another problem with passing email/s since each server in the chain could/would have a copy of it. This could be mitigated using gpg/md5 or whatever to ensure that if the data where not deleted from the servers along the chain that at least it could not be easily read. This would also assure all parties involved that the data if stored along the route is not really usable since it is the property of a company.

On another note as you well know once a password been decoded it really is no good anymore.
    So this brings us to having rules in place to prevent simple dictionary based passwords. For instance we use RSA SecurID's however we have a need for them. As such my company probably does not worry too much about passwords themselves.

BTW a great read on the above law/s can be had here

I am sure that when Thorn comes back around he can/will provide some good info on the aspect of the law as well.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Probably the best way to get around questions of legal use, and who might be a legitimate user, would be to offer this as a subscription service. You could vet the subscribers before issuing user credentials. A big advantage to offering it as a subscription as oppose to a low-cost 'pay per incident' would be that you'll almost guarantee that you would not get script kiddies even considering using the service.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Probably the best way to get around questions of legal use, and who might be a legitimate user, would be to offer this as a subscription service. You could vet the subscribers before issuing user credentials. A big advantage to offering it as a subscription as oppose to a low-cost 'pay per incident' would be that you'll almost guarantee that you would not get script kiddies even considering using the service.
    Good idea, would probably be a good idea to have a very plain language privacy policy that is right on the main page to the site as well as a NDA between himself and the subscribers.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

Excellent idea. I wonder if I can code the web app so that the user also has the access to delete his or her own files after wards.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Excellent idea. I wonder if I can code the web app so that the user also has the access to delete his or her own files after wards.
    It would probably be better if you could configure the webserver to actually upload the files to a RAM disk and not to the actual harddrive. That way, when the server is rebooted, there is no evidence whatsoever of the files existing.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast