Thread: Alfa AWUS036H length btw 2 USB ports needed

Just burned his ISO

Default Alfa AWUS036H length btw 2 USB ports needed

Hi all,

I need your help. Would those that own the Alfa AWUS036H 500mW measure the length between the 2 USB plugs that hook up to the pc. My laptop has only 2 ports but their are on the opposite side of each other and I don't know if the cable will reach to both side.
    BT3CDBroadcom4318ZE2308WM

13" not including USB heads (I measured the actual cable length only)

Just burned his ISO

Yikey!!! The length from one port to the other port stretched diagonally(the ports are opposite put skewed) is 13.5-14 inches when I measured my notebook. So it looks like I have to run the cable under the laptop instead of around and even then it may not make it. This sux.

Get an extension USB cable and use that if you need. However, you don't need to use both USB cables for the Alfa. If your laptop is old and can't provide enough power or if you want to get up to the max miliwatts that the device can put out is the only time you need both USB connectors plugged in.

Just burned his ISO

Does the ALFA card actually come with the duel cable or do you need to purchase it seperatly as i recently picked one up myself and it only has a single cable not a pigtail.

The card does work ... wonderfully i might add

Quote Originally Posted by uunfews View Post
    Hi all,

I need your help. Would those that own the Alfa AWUS036H 500mW measure the length between the 2 USB plugs that hook up to the pc. My laptop has only 2 ports but their are on the opposite side of each other and I don't know if the cable will reach to both side.
    You don't need both USB plugs for the Alfa *UNLESS* you are running USB 1.0 or 1.1 ports. If you are running USB 2.0 you can use only one of the plugs and not worry about the other.

Edit, as cybrsnpr said just above me...

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Cyper and Mr Flipple,

Glad to hear the good news. I do have USB 2.0. I was worrying about it requiring 2 ports and thus 2 separate active extension cable in case I need to position it at the best location. At 20 bucks for an active cable, we are talking about 100 total which is way too much to spend. I was thinking of defering to a Ubiquiti SRC since it almost reached that price range but I would be getting a much better receiver for not much more.

Yep I want to squeeze all the power this card has.
    More power Mr. Spock...the more the better..hehe

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by static-eratic View Post
    Does the ALFA card actually come with the duel cable or do you need to purchase it seperatly as i recently picked one up myself and it only has a single cable not a pigtail.

The card does work ... wonderfully i might add
    Not possible unless you got one of the sibblings. The real Alfa AWUS036H cord has two A plugs and one B plug (for the modem end).