Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Totally random! GUI vs SHELL

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    All you non-GUI users are just a bunch of criminals.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/04...are-suspicious
    ROTFL...thanks for the link and the laugh

HAHA that's the shit man.lol Us console people should be scared.lol. I heard once that some guy got fired from his work place cause he was using "Command Prompt" to fix a problem with his computer, all he was doing was fixing a problem not hacking into anything and got fired! Obviously it was a british company. I'm ashamed to be from england...But lets not go on that subject //^_^\\

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

That's sad! He's using black screen so he has to be bad.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    That's sad! He's using black screen so he has to be bad.
    That's why I changed mine to a green screen with black text. Green is good, right?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That's why I changed mine to a green screen with black text. Green is good, right?
    Well when I was in the service that's what they always told me. So I guess you are ok.
    /me moves to change all terminal colors.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Another thing is demonstrations. When running a demo for your company shareholders to get a bigger IT budget they want to see something like a nessus GUI with a nice easy to read output with red X's and warning symbols and all that stuff they are used to. If you make them sit and look at the matrix text box while a nessus scan completes they will be bored out of their gourd and consequently unimpressed. You have to remember that while we as nerds think watching a program compile and execute in a black and green terminal is sexy as hell most people think that is plain weird.
    Wait, wait, you mean Linux has a GUI???

On a more serious note, you hit the nail on the head with the above point. I missed out on fixing a number of extremely serious security issues for an enterprise customer - and on getting paid lots too - because I discovered the problems with the DOS Shell. Had I used Nessus and BT3 I could have produced a PDF report to hand off that would have made the upper management get off their butts right quick. As you say, they saw me pinging machines across vlans, pinging the PBX from production, pinging dev from test, mounting shares and gaining access to things I should not via SSH... And they were totally unimpressed.

This is what occasioned me to carry a BT3 USB key with me at all times now. I missed out on a HUGE contract because they did not understand how bad it was. (And it still is bad there. Maybe one day I will land the contract of fixing their network...)

As to the question. I use the gui to load more terminal windows as it is easier to see what is going on than ctrl-alt-F#.

hmm..Honestly i do not like very much the mean "attitude" of the vast majority of *nix users.
    Yeah, shell is tough and powerful.
    Yeah, shell does not consumes CPU cycles,
    Yeah, shell does it quick!
    And yeah, shell is cool!
    Unfortunately, our brain is not exactly "suited for a shell". Basically all of the shells are made after the initial programmer's mind. Never asked yourself why we shall use "mv" in *nix while somewhere else you do the same thing with "copy"?
    Using shells is much more like trying to understand who programmed it than understanding the system behind.
    We, as human beings, are made in such a way that sight is the most important sense. We rely on sight much more than we can believe. And sight is not just a matter of "seeing" something. Basically it's useless to see what you cannot clearly and immediately understand.
    Reading a text describing an object gives us a lot less information than a single picture of the object itself.
    And, basically, shell is text while gui is visual.
    In fact, i do also think that most of the strongest "shell supporters" are in fact looking for a kind of "cryptic domain" in which only a few "initiated" can enter.
    Personally i do think that giving a gui to a good program is better than having the best command-line program ever and getting mad between switches, options, changes, modifiers or whatsoever.
    It's a manner of "efficiency". Most of the times is preferrable to have a simple and "idiot-proof" scissor to cut paper instead of featuring a "state-of-the-art-heavy-training-needing" japanese katana!
    Let's be more clear: i'm not begging for the "hack-it" button at all! It's just a manner of fact that gui's are most of the times more understandable than shells also for experienced pro's.
    Otherwise there would not have been any need for code indentation, for instance...no need for higlighting text or using different colors...
    Of course, if you wanna race with motorbikes, it's better for you that you start learning how to ride a bicycle first. But after that, you'd be a stupid if you think that being a super-experienced cyclist gives you a chance in a speed race against a beginner motorbiker...

Quote Originally Posted by Chobin73 View Post
    hmm..Honestly i do not like very much the mean "attitude" of the vast majority of *nix users.
    Yeah, shell is tough and powerful.
    Yeah, shell does not consumes CPU cycles,
    Yeah, shell does it quick!
    And yeah, shell is cool!
    Unfortunately, our brain is not exactly "suited for a shell". Basically all of the shells are made after the initial programmer's mind. Never asked yourself why we shall use "mv" in *nix while somewhere else you do the same thing with "copy"?
    Using shells is much more like trying to understand who programmed it than understanding the system behind.
    We, as human beings, are made in such a way that sight is the most important sense. We rely on sight much more than we can believe. And sight is not just a matter of "seeing" something. Basically it's useless to see what you cannot clearly and immediately understand.
    Reading a text describing an object gives us a lot less information than a single picture of the object itself.
    And, basically, shell is text while gui is visual.
    In fact, i do also think that most of the strongest "shell supporters" are in fact looking for a kind of "cryptic domain" in which only a few "initiated" can enter.
    Personally i do think that giving a gui to a good program is better than having the best command-line program ever and getting mad between switches, options, changes, modifiers or whatsoever.
    It's a manner of "efficiency". Most of the times is preferrable to have a simple and "idiot-proof" scissor to cut paper instead of featuring a "state-of-the-art-heavy-training-needing" japanese katana!
    Let's be more clear: i'm not begging for the "hack-it" button at all! It's just a manner of fact that gui's are most of the times more understandable than shells also for experienced pro's.
    Otherwise there would not have been any need for code indentation, for instance...no need for higlighting text or using different colors...
    Of course, if you wanna race with motorbikes, it's better for you that you start learning how to ride a bicycle first. But after that, you'd be a stupid if you think that being a super-experienced cyclist gives you a chance in a speed race against a beginner motorbiker...
    Copy works in linux? I turn off highlighting, and different color text, it screws with my eyes. Most people that know what they are doing can type the commands faster than most people can hunt and click in a gui.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Um. You do realize there's a difference between moving a file and copying a file right, and that the copy command in linux is 'cp'.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Copy works in linux?
    Of course no, but moving/copying or renamig files is not done only in linux...
    I turn off highlighting, and different color text, it screws with my eyes.
    of course it's up to your preferences: anyhow this basically confirms that visual impression hits your attention...
    Most people that know what they are doing can type the commands faster than most people can hunt and click in a gui.
    Most of the skilled people i know have already a fully featured set of scripts "ready to go", therefore they don't need to type a lot
    ...honestly, i do not think that computer skills shall be considered under the "typewriting speed" point. Believe it or not a well trained secretary can type commands faster than anyone of us here, even if she does not understand a single bit of what she's typing. And i'm even quite sure that she'll look waaaaay better than any of us geeks!
    In my humble opinion, the issue "is shell better than gui" resides well behind the main question "does knowing the syntax means that you master computers or it's knowing how computers works that makes the difference?"

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69
    Um. You do realize there's a difference between moving a file and copying a file right, and that the copy command in linux is 'cp'.
    Of course i do, but if you want to rename a file in linux you can use "mv" like in dos you can use "copy", for instance. That is what i was meaning: having different syntaxes, options or commands to do the same thing in different environments depends from the idea of the original programmer...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast