Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wifi spectrum analyzer

7ELEVEN

Default wifi spectrum analyzer

is it possible to use a usb or any other wifi device as a 2.4Ghz spectrum analyzer?

Good friend of the forums

Just guessing, but a 2.4ghz reciver chip from a wireless adpator, and you read the voltage difference from the output(before it went into a digtal modulator,if not inbuilt) would give you some type of frequency modulation

Quote Originally Posted by 7ELEVEN View Post
    is it possible to use a usb or any other wifi device as a 2.4Ghz spectrum analyzer?
    Google "WiSpy" (www.metageek.net)
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Google "WiSpy" (www.metageek.net)
    Which is probably the best wifi spectrum analyzer under $1000 outside of fleabay.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by 7ELEVEN View Post
    The Wi-Spy device is provided as a custom firmware device coupled with their own propitiatory software suite.

If you mean can you use an existing "normal" wifi device and put it to use as a spectrum analyzer, then yes that's possible too - given that it's a supported device matched to the corresponding software.
    i.e. Use an your own Netgear or Cisco card with Airmagnet, etc.

The difference here is that you can use a pre-existing device with your chosen software, as opposed to software locked to a supplied device.

Although, as stated, Wi-Spy is probably one of the best value for money solutions.

Also, look at Yellow Jacket is money is no object!

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    The Wi-Spy device is provided as a custom firmware device coupled with their own propitiatory software suite.

If you mean can you use an existing "normal" wifi device and put it to use as a spectrum analyzer, then yes that's possible too - given that it's a supported device matched to the corresponding software.
    i.e. Use an your own Netgear or Cisco card with Airmagnet, etc.

The difference here is that you can use a pre-existing device with your chosen software, as opposed to software locked to a supplied device.

Although, as stated, Wi-Spy is probably one of the best value for money solutions.

Also, look at Yellow Jacket is money is no object!
    I've never seen any wifi card pretend to be a spectrum analyzer. Dragorn's wispy software is open source I believe.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've never seen any wifi card pretend to be a spectrum analyzer. Dragorn's wispy software is open source I believe.
    In the context of my post, in that a "normal" wifi card being used with compatible software, resulting in a spectrum analyzer:

http://www.airmagnet.com/products/spectrum_analyzer/

BTW, does the Wi-Spy software work with many other wifi devices?

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    In the context of my post, in that a "normal" wifi card being used with compatible software, resulting in a spectrum analyzer:

http://www.airmagnet.com/products/spectrum_analyzer/

BTW, does the Wi-Spy software work with many other wifi devices?
    No, it works only with the wispy hardware. The airmagnet is specialized hardware too, it's not using a wifi card.

Can I use the special Spectrum Analyzer adapter card for Wi-Fi connectivity?
    No, the Spectrum Analyzer adapter card uses a unique chipset designed to capture and analyze all nearby radio traffic in these bands. It does not function as a traditional Wi-Fi adapter. Customers can use an internal Centrino adapter at the same time, or take this adapter out of their laptops to use the PC card slot for an external adapter.

Can I use a standard Wi-Fi card instead for Spectrum Analysis?
    The product requires a special card with unique chipset, custom-designed to implement RF spectrum analysis functions. This is not a standard Wi-Fi card, and does not provide any connectivity. The card must be in the laptop to run the AirMagnet Spectrum Analyzer application.

Good friend of the forums

This isn't so much a device that you buy and plug into a computer, but might help

http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX2140.pdf
    2.4ghz reciver

http://www.maxim-ic.com/design_guide...IRELESS_23.pdf
    page 14

Dragging up an old thread, but here's something that is at least "new" to me.....

Quite a breakthrough in the spectrum analyzer market:

http://www.ubnt.com/airview/

Again, it's a USB solution, but is priced starting at the $39 price point, according to the web page, making it massively available and affordable.
    I wonder how much the Airview2-EXT version is?

It is Open Source, works with Windows, Mac and Linux and I read somewhere that it also comes complete with a Linux SDK "to promote development"

Nice one Ubiquiti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast