Thread: BT4 beta Custom kernel 2.6.28.1-custom

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO danielcosta's Avatar

Default BT4 beta Custom kernel 2.6.28.1-custom

I have googled and searched the forum but cant figure this one out
    I build my own custom kernel using the source code from
    /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.28.1
    to have webcam support built in.

I made a whole new lzm system, copied to my BT4 usb stick (BT4/base).
    Copied the new vmlinuz-custom to /boot/vmlinuz-custom to usb stick
    Added a new line in /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg :

LABEL BT4
    MENU LABEL BT4 Beta Custom
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz-custom
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet

But Im getting the following error at boot time:

setup union directory (using aufs)
    mount: mounting aufs on union failed: no such device
    UDF-fs: no partition found (1)
    Fatal error occured - can't setup union (aufs)
    Something went wrong and we can't continue. This should never happen.
    Please reboot your computer with ctrl+alt+delete ...

Ive also tried to make an ISO file to boot in vmware or even into a DVD, but im geting the same error.

Can anyone help me on this.

Good friend of the forums

how many times, I wonder, has it been mentioned in this forum, not to mess with custom kernels... now, I suppose, if we help you boot your system, you will discover (quite strangely.. ), that injection is not working, etc. Then again, the same questions, same answers.

However...

This link WILL help you. Read on! http://tinyurl.com/cxlvqb

Developer

Xorred, They will never learn.

Just burned his ISO danielcosta's Avatar

So you are saying only people from Backtrack are allowed to "mess" with the kernel?
    With so many post about this, how come no one share the answer?

I'm not speaking for others, I'm sure they will chime in. For my 2 cents:

No, they are not saying not to mess with the linux kernel. What they are saying is that backtrack is a customized kernel with many changes, patches and modifications made to get it to work the way it does. Then they take that modified kernel and turn it into a live linux distro (which has it's own complications and difficulties). Backtrack is highly specialized and modifying the kernel will break many things that the BT devs have worked very hard to tweak, and as such they don't recommend you try to do so. They also don't want to be inundated with questions about "how to fix my custom kernel mod". Basically they don't support individual users modifying their changes and then asking them to fix it for them.

You (and anybody else) are welcome (and as a linux user myself) encouraged, to build your own custom kernel in linux on whatever distro you would like. I recommend gentoo. This is a great learning experience and your patience and thorough searching for answers will be a great reward in and of itself, when after you have finally solved your own mistakes, you will be able to successfully boot into your own custom linux distro.

I wish you luck and success in your learning, just don't expect this forum to fix your own mistakes concerning something that the forum has recommended against several times.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    I'm not speaking for others, I'm sure they will chime in. For my 2 cents:

No, they are not saying not to mess with the linux kernel. What they are saying is that backtrack is a customized kernel with many changes, patches and modifications made to get it to work the way it does. Then they take that modified kernel and turn it into a live linux distro (which has it's own complications and difficulties). Backtrack is highly specialized and modifying the kernel will break many things that the BT devs have worked very hard to tweak, and as such they don't recommend you try to do so. They also don't want to be inundated with questions about "how to fix my custom kernel mod". Basically they don't support individual users modifying their changes and then asking them to fix it for them.

You (and anybody else) are welcome (and as a linux user myself) encouraged, to build your own custom kernel in linux on whatever distro you would like. I recommend gentoo. This is a great learning experience and your patience and thorough searching for answers will be a great reward in and of itself, when after you have finally solved your own mistakes, you will be able to successfully boot into your own custom linux distro.

I wish you luck and success in your learning, just don't expect this forum to fix your own mistakes concerning something that the forum has recommended against several times.
    I could not have said this better myself. From now on all kernel question will be directed to this post

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I could not have said this better myself. From now on all kernel question will be directed to this post
    Indeed, and the second half of the post in regards to the satisfaction one gets from building a custom anything is a reward in and of itself. I had such a headache from building my gentoo laptop but after it was over, well the headached only letup a bit (if you know gentoo you get that) but the learning experience is worth every bit.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

because if you don't already know you shouldn't be playing with the kernel. And whats wrong with the bt4 kernel ? lol Why dont you just build a module and add it to your install ?

cd into the bt4 stock kernel source directory and run

Code:
    make xconfig
    then add the drivers you wana and save the configuration. Then run

Code:
    make O=/whateva/you/like modules
    Then you can make a new package (not going to explain that one as it looks like you know how to compress packages ) and add it to the "BT4/modules/" folder.