Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Channel 12 monitoring not possible

Just burned his ISO

Default Channel 12 monitoring not possible

I have an access point which works in channel 12. now I cannot get backtrack3 with a netgear wg311t (atheros) into monitor mode with CH12. Ive tried airmon-ng and configuring by hands. always the same - an error is prompt. blah blah ... wrong argument. Is CH12 not supported? The other channels are working fine. Ive found out, that monitoring of CH12+13 is not allowed in the USA. So, Backtrack3 always starts in the USA country (keyboard ... ) configuration. Is this the reason for my problem? If it is, is it possible to change something inside the .iso to start always in the euro config?

thanks for help!

Its possible your wireless card doesn't support channels over 11, but if your problem is only caused by a wireless driver config issue you might be able to find joy by changing the Reg.Domain for the wireless driver (kernel module) you are using.

I haven't done this in Backtrack 3 specifically, so YMMV, but adding the following line into /etc/modprobe.d/options may do the job. <wireless_module_name> should obviously be replaced with the name of your wireless driver.

Code:
    options <wireless_module_name> ieee80211_regdom="EU"
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

If the Netgear WG311T is an FCC Domain Card, it only does 802.11b and g Channels 1 through 11. To monitor Ch 12, you would need an ETSI (European), MMK Japanese or French card.

This chart may help:
    Code:
    Channels      Domain
    --------      ------
    1-11          FCC (USA/Canada)
    1-13          ETSI (Most European countries)
    1-14          MKK (Japan),
    10-13         France
    3-9           Israel
    Be advised that monitoring channels outside of your domain may or may not be legal, depending on the laws of your country. It is almost universally illegal to transmit on any channel that is not allowed in a given domain.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

OK. Ive bought and use my card in germany, so i think CH 1-13 were open. The WLAN manager of windows XP also shows channels 12+13.
    But what about backtrack. Does it start with all channels suported?

Quote Originally Posted by Wixfigur View Post
    OK. Ive bought and use my card in germany, so i think CH 1-13 were open. The WLAN manager of windows XP also shows channels 12+13.
    But what about backtrack. Does it start with all channels suported?
    Apparently not. You should try and confirm this by running one of those Linux commands that list the available channels for your card.

Code:
    iwlist <interface> channel
    And if this command lists only channels 1-11 you might want to try what I suggested in my post above.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Ok

so I open a command promp an write

iwlist ath0 channel

and to change the country code

options ath0 ieee80211_regdom="EU"

right? or something else instead of <interface>?

sorry for that silly question, but I am not a linux prof.

Ok

so I open a command promp an write

iwlist ath0 channel

and to change the country code

options ath0 ieee80211_regdom="EU"

right? or something else instead of <interface>?

sorry for that silly question, but I am not a linux prof.
    Assuming that "ath0" is your wireless interface name the syntax of those lines above is correct.

Of course actually going and trying it would have provided quicker feedback than asking here.

Just burned his ISO

OK

"iwlist ath0 channel" replys, that 1-11 are working.
    But if I wrote the second command " options ath0 ieee80211_regdom="EU" ", I get an error message "command options not known. Is that right to put it into a commandshell?

OK

"iwlist ath0 channel" replys, that 1-11 are working.
    But if I wrote the second command " options ath0 ieee80211_regdom="EU" ", I get an error message "command options not known. Is that right to put it into a commandshell?
    No, read my post again, I said you should that line into the /etc/modprobe.d/options file.

Just burned his ISO

OK lupin, Ive done this. But no change. Ive searched the net a bit. Found out this: I have to restart the computer. With a live CD???? Is there a way to stop and reload the module?
    And 2nd problem: <wireless_module_name> should be the drivers name. airmon-ng shows driver:madwifi-ng. right? Or cfg80211, mac80211, ath0...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast