Thread: Non-US Keyboard Layouts

Just burned his ISO

Default Non-US Keyboard Layouts

Hi folks

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum subsection, but I've noticed that backtrack linux defaults to the US keyboard layout. Unfortunately, I have a Swiss keyboard. I've done a lot of googling trying to find how to change that, and I just can't find anything that works. I'm beginning to wonder if support for various keyboard layouts wasn't included in Backtrack, perhaps to cut back on space requirements? I don't know, I'm stretching here, but if you have any feedback, that'd be great.

I've tried things like passing lang=ch-latin1 and such as boot params, but it always comes up in US layout. That's actually better for me, as my fingers are trained to US standards when using vi but for my colleagues, it's going to be a bit rough. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks!
    Lance

when u get into kde, there is a little US flag beside the clock on the bottom right. try that?
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectZero View Post
    when u get into kde, there is a little US flag beside the clock on the bottom right. try that?
    Yeah, actually, I'd discovered that; sorry, wasn't quite clear enough. I want to be able to change the keyboard layout such that it affects the console as well. A lot of tools don't require a GUI, and a lot of people don't like booting up into one when they don't need it. Never mind that sometimes, just typing a password like "toor" can be a pain if the keyboard layout is unfamiliar.