Thread: how to setup backtrack 3 on "microsoft virtual PC"

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy how to setup backtrack 3 on "microsoft virtual PC"

Whenever I try to use Backtrack 3 on mvpc where it would origanally log into the "desktop" of Backtrack I just get a black screen in the window. My friend says I need to install it on mvpc but I have no idea how, any help? I tried googling but that didn't help for me. If this is a spam thread and another thread like this with the CORRECT ANSWEARS please give me the link so I can go to that. Thanks in advance!

Do you only get the black screen once you try and start the BackTrack GUI Desktop (using "startx"), or does the black screen appear even before you see a shell prompt? Do you see anything on screen before it goes black?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

It goes through the BIOS? of the OS . And it would be after i use startx

Quote Originally Posted by Ringwraith View Post
    It goes through the BIOS? of the OS . And it would be after i use startx
    So you're able to log in as root, and the problems occur after you type in startx?

Sounds like an X Windows problem. If this is the problem you should be able to switch back to a shell prompt once the screen goes black by using CTRL + ALT + F1, and you can check the X windows log file in /var/log to get a better idea of the problem.

If its an option though, I probably suggest you try using an alternate Virtualisaiton product to run BackTrack, such as VMWare Server or Player. You'll probably find it works better.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Ringwraith View Post
    Whenever I try to use Backtrack 3 on mvpc where it would origanally log into the "desktop" of Backtrack I just get a black screen in the window. My friend says I need to install it on mvpc but I have no idea how, any help? I tried googling but that didn't help for me. If this is a spam thread and another thread like this with the CORRECT ANSWEARS please give me the link so I can go to that. Thanks in advance!
    have you tried using the command "fixvesa" before using startx? In some cases Backtrack fail to automatically configure the resolution and fixvesa usually solves the problem

Just burned his ISO

I did what ufoolg said and it works but my windows cursor dosn't transfer over to the backtrack 3 cursor. And I dont know how to install the mouse drivers(thats what my friend suggested to do) Any help now?

Some things you could try:

• Upgrade Virtual PC to the latest version
    • Use another virtualisation product (VmWare is good)
    • Try using this "i8042.noloop" as a kernel parameter when loading BackTrack
    • Use a different version of BackTrack to see if it works
    • Learn to work in BackTrack without a GUI