Thread: 2 different PC's, 2 different results?

Just burned his ISO

Default 2 different PC's, 2 different results?

I honestly haven't seen anybody else talk about this very much so that's why I decide post.

Basically, i just got the AWUS036H in the mail the other day and I've been trying to set it up. It failed miserably in windows, so I was trying VMWare before I tried the Live Discs. My VMWare attempts overall were VERY buggy with BT3. The most common thing to happen was just random disconnects of the alfa, VMWare would notify me that it had been disconnected, and that it was trying to re-connect it.

So anyways, I gave up on VMWare and burned a fresh copy of BT3 Final.

On my upstairs PC, which I recently built, the only way I can get in is by using the "acpi=off" option.

By the way, could anyone explain what the does and WHY my computer needs it? Is it a motherboard thing? I checked in my motherboard config and I tried to disable it but it didn't help anything.

So anyways, when I would finally get BT3 loaded, I encountered the assortment of errors described in this thread

forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=16842

again and again and again.

So i gave up with that PC and went downstairs to my old one. Popped in BT3 Final, what do you know, boots 100% fine, I connect the card, crack my own WEP, NO errors.

wtf is going on? lol. It's gotta be hardware then right? I have the ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus motherboard on the computer that's NOT working. is ASUS bad?

I'm just wondering why in the hell it had so many problems on one computer and 0 problems on the other.

Was it that "acpi=off" option? Anyways, I hope I get this sorted out. I think I'm sending the adapter in for replacement anyways.

Cheers,

Steve

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yadsendew View Post
    I'm just wondering why in the hell it had so many problems on one computer and 0 problems on the other.
    Was it that "acpi=off" option?
    Steve

acpi=off

As for bt working on one computer and not another that is the same with any OS, and should be obvious.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    As for bt working on one computer and not another that is the same with any OS, and should be obvious.
    so should I just accept that it's not going to work? I just wish I could understand what the problem is. I had read that wiki article on what ACPI is, but after doing so I felt like it really wouldn't have been the root to all of my problems (on the PC that's not working).

Have you heard of issues before where certain hardware has caused problems with BT?

And finally, are there any steps I can take towards a solution?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yadsendew View Post
    so should I just accept that it's not going to work?
    Not sure about that

I just wish I could understand what the problem is.
    It might also help if you tell everyone the hardware you have.
    I had read that wiki article on what ACPI is, but after doing so I felt like it really wouldn't have been the root to all of my problems (on the PC that's not working).
    It might not be the root but it might help.

Have you heard of issues before where certain hardware has caused problems with BT?
    Uhh, yeah I have heard of incompatibility problems before.
    And finally, are there any steps I can take towards a solution?
    Yes there are several, two come to mind one buy compatible hardware. Or two help develop drivers for the linux kernel.

You should probably find out if other linux distros are supported, e.g. ubuntu.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

It might also help if you tell everyone the hardware you have.
    It might not be the root but it might help.
    -Asus M2N-MX SE Plus Motherboard
    -AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.60GHz Black Edition Socket AM2 Processor
    -Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM
    -Crucial 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory
    -Crucial 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 Memory

Yes there are several, two come to mind one buy compatible hardware. Or two help develop drivers for the linux kernel.
    Is there a compatible hardware list for BT3? And, even if there is, I feel like the 'uncompatible' portion wouldn't be very big because I've barely seen any other posts with problems similar to mine.

You should probably find out if other linux distros are supported, e.g. ubuntu.
    I had Ubuntu installed a long time ago (via Wubi) and I had to do the same exact thing I did for BT3. "apci=off", or.... it may have been "noapic".

Question: both the "apci=off" option and the "noapic" option work when booting BT3 Final. I looked them up and "APCI" and "APIC" are completely different things, so why would turning ONE of them off fix the other issue, and vice versa. It's not like I have to turn both off to get it to work. Just one.

Also, thanks a lot for the fast replies archangel.amael

EDIT: I've resolved all the issues I was previously having. I managed to resolve the "acpi=off" fix by changing one of my southbridge configuration options in the bios for acpi to "disabled". My issues with the alfa awus036h were resolved rather mysteriously. At first I thought it amounted to me just forgetting to "ifconfig wlan0 up" the device, but i'm almost sure it was more than that, because I know I've done that over the past few days. thanks to anyone and everyone that gave me help, and if anyone in the future finds themselves having similar problems drop me a PM!

EDIT2: problem still isn't solved. last night the card was working perfectly. this morning I started bt3 final again, and proceeded to do everything the same as I had the night before, and when I tested for injection the card said "read failed: network is down". I'm considering that the card may be faulty. Thankfully i should receive my new one tomorrow