Thread: Request for way to backup custom hd install

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Request for way to backup custom hd install

With the strict forum posting rules, I'm not sure what section this should be in but I woulld like to know if anyone has been able to back up their BT4 to an ISO and then make it into a bootable usb. In the past I simply used remastersys and unetbootin to do this, but BT4 doesnt seem to want me to do this. Is there something that Im no getting here or can I do it in a similar way to the original hd install method? Any help is appriciated so that I can backup my working version to allow me to safely test some changes (mainly updates). Thanks.....

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Yes I suspect somebody may move this post !!!

You could just copy your folders to a backup drive

cp --preserve -R {dir,dir,dir} /mnt/bacupdrive

Quote Originally Posted by D_0ne View Post
    With the strict forum posting rules, I'm not sure what section this should be in but I woulld like to know if anyone has been able to back up their BT4 to an ISO and then make it into a bootable usb. In the past I simply used remastersys and unetbootin to do this, but BT4 doesnt seem to want me to do this. Is there something that Im no getting here or can I do it in a similar way to the original hd install method? Any help is appriciated so that I can backup my working version to allow me to safely test some changes (mainly updates). Thanks.....
    I think your question is a legit one and posted in the correct spot (I'm not a mod, so they may disagree). A little googling may have given you a faster answer though

Try googling for a program called g4u - I haven't used it for awhile but it may get the job done for you.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

You could probably use dd.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

If you are looking for a way to backup your hard drive install so you can restore it to a different machine with similar hardware, or the same machine after a hard drive replacement, you could try something like CloneZilla.

http://clonezilla.org/
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Thanks lupin, looks like an interesting package.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Thanks lupin, looks like an interesting package.
    Yes, its a good little package. We use it at work to do backups of our custom laptop images - we were previously using Norton Ghost Corporate Edition, but this is a good drop in replacement. Its guided, so its easy to use, it can split and compress images, and it has some funky features like removing of page files on Windows volumes to reduce overall image size.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

CloneZilla is a great program and even has a Server version that will let you image system via PXE booting.

My only gripe with CloneZilla is the last of been about to restore single files and not been able to restore an image from a larger drive onto a small one even if the image size is smaller {You can do this after using VM's and GParted but no straight forward way}

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Yes, its a good little package. We use it at work to do backups of our custom laptop images - we were previously using Norton Ghost Corporate Edition, but this is a good drop in replacement. Its guided, so its easy to use, it can split and compress images, and it has some funky features like removing of page files on Windows volumes to reduce overall image size.