Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Encrypting/Locking my USB OS

Default Encrypting/Locking my USB OS

I have my USB set up to boot backtrack w/ persistent changes. Is it possible to encrypt the USBs files and still be able to boot from it without causing problems?

and if not that... is there a method I can use to make my USB's contents more secure and still retain all of it's functionality?

Or at least make it appear to be more benign than it is when you plug it in to a computer.

any ideas?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalpsycho View Post
    I have my USB set up to boot backtrack w/ persistent changes. Is it possible to encrypt the USBs files and still be able to boot from it without causing problems?

and if not that... is there a method I can use to make my USB's contents more secure and still retain all of it's functionality?

Or at least make it appear to be more benign than it is when you plug it in to a computer.

any ideas?

Truecrypt
    there is also a tutorial here on the forums for what you are asking.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalpsycho View Post
    is there a method I can use to make my USB's contents more secure and still retain all of it's functionality?
    Lock it up in a sturdy container when not in use.

Seriously though, can you tell us exactly what you're trying to secure your Backtrack install against? Storage based encryption is normally used to protect the confidentiality of data in the event that the storage device falls into the wrong hands. Are you concerned that people finding your USB stick will know you are using BackTrack?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Are you concerned that people finding your USB stick will know you are using BackTrack?
    Maybe then the OP should not use BT!?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Trucrypt is exactly what you want, but i see no need to follow the guide here as the one on there site explains much much more and you'll get a better understanding of whats going on .... Unless there is some special configuration you must do to make it work with BT and i dont think thats the case.

You could even have it set so you enter one password to boot ubuntu and the other to boot BT that way if someone asks you what is there you can show them.

cheers
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Maybe then the OP should not use BT!?
    Yeah, that's another option.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Lock it up in a sturdy container when not in use.

Seriously though, can you tell us exactly what you're trying to secure your Backtrack install against? Storage based encryption is normally used to protect the confidentiality of data in the event that the storage device falls into the wrong hands. Are you concerned that people finding your USB stick will know you are using BackTrack?
    Maybe he lives in Germany. Or maybe he just don't want his teachers to find out what he's been up to......
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

If he is worried about physical access, he could use a Bio USB stick (requires a fingerprint to access). I've used one for about 4 years now without any trouble at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    If he is worried about physical access, he could use a Bio USB stick (requires a fingerprint to access). I've used one for about 4 years now without any trouble at all.
    I hope it works better than the one on my Dell. Half the damn time the "device is closed" and I have to type in my password anyway.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

It's a BioStick and I've never had a bit of trouble with it. But, I don't boot an O/S off of it either . My Laptop (lenovo SL400) has the same thing, and so far, it has worked everytime too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast