Thread: ALFA 500mw USB Adapter Question

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation ALFA 500mw USB Adapter Question

Hey guys for shristmas last year i purchased a alfa AWUS036H from amizon now i though i would have got more range with this adapter but to be truth full i feel the built it wifi i got on my lappy has a equal to strenth in regards to signal. now i purchased this adapter from amizon any chance of it being a fake, the box it came it looks to be a bit shabby i dont mean crushed but a chap fell to it box. but any ways anoth question i have is that the adapter has 2 usb s to plug into the computer now i was wondring why is there 2 usb any one know ?

It could be that you have a good card in your laptop, and it gets good range. Not something to be unhappy about. The Alfa sometimes comes with stronger antennas, and the advantage is you can move it around. Depending on circumstance and the quality of your card, this may or may not be better for wireless.

Given that I don't have an Alfa, I can only guess at the 2 USB plugs into one. (I am assuming that is what you are describing). Some USB devices need a larger amount of power than what a USB 1.0 port can provide. Thus they come with 2 plugs so you plug them in twice to each USB 1.0 port to provide enough power for the device to run. If you have USB 2.0 ports, you don't need the dual cable, as USB 2.0 puts out enough power.

i strongly doubt you got a "fake" from amazon personally; you can easily enough check the chipset that i don't see why someone would try and pawn off a fake for the affordable prices this card sells for. the original retail box is sort of unimpressive packaging at best as well. it's not really meant to be the point of purchase packaging you commonly see on devices sold at best buy and their ilk.

data aliance dot net is a pleasure to deal with for this sort of gear just for future reference. are you still using the stock +2dbi antenna which ships with the alfa? you should see some improvements in range over most typical cards, but you'll see better still signal strength improvements by changing out the stock antenna for one with higher dbi amplification level. another thing you can try is looking into making a parabolic "dish" for further amplification. google freeantennas website.

the most physically far terminal i have in our facility to attempt testing the alfas range to my access point is still under about 750 feet walking distance with almost no signal obstructions. i can't help you very much checking range and signal level any further than that; and the alfa does this quite well with a +9 dbi antenna from data alliance.

hopefully helps you a bit anyway.

Just burned his ISO

ah much obliged thanks for the reply

Just burned his ISO

If I'm not mistaken, the alfa has two USB plugs because it is so powerful it needs the extra boost! Pretty crazy IMO. I just got one last week. With this in mind, are you using it with both USB's plugged in? Because I was somewhat unimpressed with mine as well, but when I plugged in the second USB plug it made a huge difference. As other's have mentioned, the type of antennae you use alongside with it also makes a big difference. One of the big benefits of this kind of card is the antennae connector, which means you can hook up all sorts of awesome range extending, power hungry signal catchers. I would like to get a yagi eventually...Have fun with it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by azraCadaver View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the alfa has two USB plugs because it is so powerful it needs the extra boost! Pretty crazy IMO. I just got one last week. With this in mind, are you using it with both USB's plugged in? Because I was somewhat unimpressed with mine as well, but when I plugged in the second USB plug it made a huge difference. As other's have mentioned, the type of antennae you use alongside with it also makes a big difference. One of the big benefits of this kind of card is the antennae connector, which means you can hook up all sorts of awesome range extending, power hungry signal catchers. I would like to get a yagi eventually...Have fun with it, anyway.
    I think that your "power boost" due to the Y-USB cable might be a bit of self-deluding: http://backtrack.offensive-security....works_AWUS036H

Just burned his ISO

Haha I guess I was mistaken. Google says they did that for older notebooks...

Disregard that bit of my post I suppose.