Thread: General Errors & Hopeful Changes

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation General Errors & Hopeful Changes

I'm sorry my first post is gonna sound like a Complaint, but I want to help-- all I can to this fine Distro of linux.

you guys are amazing.
    also, I'm sorry if I tell you stuff you already know)

First of all.. I have great difficulty connecting to my desired WiFi connection, on any computer... the built in manager is no good, and ifup seems to not associate properly. (this could be due to my bad use, I haven't had occasion to use ifup outside of BT4)

the lack of media support, is, annoying, however I understand completely.
    however I would suggest, embedding VLC and custom compiling it so it can be run by root.
    xmms isn't in the repos.

one of the PGP keys aren't installed, so any time I update my source list, I get a nice big fat error. (maybe this is just me)

the desicion to use kUbuntu was very wise, it is very stable (considering) and has support for what ever is in my computer, that stops previous versions of BackTrack working-- However, for whatever reason, someone has forgotten to include the host_rsa for the ssh service.
    and... while we're on the subject, the services folder in the menu has altogether vanished..
    (I liked them)

hopefully compiz is re-introduced, I LOVED that.

are you going to release a program to edit the .lzm files? or is there one already that I don't know of, because making my own BT-derivitive gives me the goosebumps ( in a good way )

FTP doesn't work.

lack of flash player--- in fact all the mozilla plugins are gone...

KDE has a hard time trying to find media:/
    (the KDE time function doesn't sync to hardware time)

reliance on the aptitude is bad.. for example.
    I was reading an encryped disk.
    to make it read-ready (even after decryption) you must specify the
    Code:
    vgchange -ay
    command.
    for that I'd need LVM2
    (if I wasn't anywhere near a Crackable Wifi or Ethernet, I couldn't use apt)
    and, as far as I'm aware, I can't inject it myself, pre-boot.

erm... anymore... I'll edit in a few.

[will retry the SSH+FTP may have been user error]

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dijit View Post
    First of all.. I have great difficulty connecting to my desired WiFi connection, on any computer... the built in manager is no good, and ifup seems to not associate properly. (this could be due to my bad use, I haven't had occasion to use ifup outside of BT4)
    try the command line.
    the lack of media support, is, annoying, however I understand completely.
    Obviously not. why would you need a media player in a pentest distro? If they have pr0n just copy it and watch it at home on your own time.
    Code:
    however I would suggest, embedding VLC and custom compiling it so it can be run by root.
    Probably not a good idea.
    Code:
    xmms isn't in the repos.
    it is in the ubuntu repos just have to look harder.

one of the PGP keys aren't installed, so any time I update my source list, I get a nice big fat error. (maybe this is just me)
    Check the blog and the forums it is widely known issue and there is a fix for it.

are you going to release a program to edit the .lzm files? or is there one already that I don't know of, because making my own BT-derivitive gives me the goosebumps ( in a good way )
    how are you wanting to edit the file ?

lack of flash player--- in fact all the mozilla plugins are gone...
    That was done on purpose. Next time you fire up firefox look at all the scripts that try to run when surfing the web. Again security problems may abound. You can turn them back on though real easy like.

KDE has a hard time trying to find media:/
    Widely known bug and there is a fix for it here.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

=] ok thanks man.

I want to modify the .lzm files, so I cn add the bugfix's and updates to firefox, nd other such nonsense I do on startup anyway, also, I am not always somewhere with internet to update the software witht the repos

AND I don't use a US keyboard... time is always wrong etc; I know this is all easily changable stuff... but, I also like to figure out how people have done things.. and live disks are something I've pondered on for a while.
    so
    although not neccesary I would like to be able to modify the module files for BT4.

I did apologise for reitterating old posts, so again I'm sorry.

a VLC is good. it's universal takes about 20mb and generally does alot of nifty stuff that other media players don't -- even has an in-buit shoutcast server --

and the flash plugin security concerns were cancelled out by no-script
    maybe I am wrong... so again i apologise... I was just trying to help.
    ^_^ so I'll simply say, you guys do a great job, I am glad you switched to ubuntu, now the memory address concerns in my laptop are gone xD
    (only Ubuntu and fedora work for some reason :?)

Also keep in mind this is the beta stage. A lot of the "fluff" is left out until the final release.