Thread: wlan0 not present

Just burned his ISO

Default wlan0 not present

Im using BT4 beta LIVE downloaded. Laptop dell m1330 with wireless card Broadcom 4328 rev 03. When i try to use my wireless it doesnt show up in the NIC table. it does show my on board nic and i can get in the internet but need the wireless to load up instead
    The lspci does show my 4328 card.
    anyone have a tutorial on what is needed or can this be added to the bt4 so that it will load the wireless from the beginning like it loaded my on board.
    i did also do the/etc/init.d/networking start and /etc/init.d/NetworkingManager start before the start x

Good friend of the forums

I don't have this laptop/nic so can't probably help you much in that, BUT - you know, BT4 beta is built around Ubuntu. Ubuntu community has the best forums of all the linux distros out there, and if the question is not specific to PenTesting, or the pentesting tools you see on the BT4 distro, you will be better off seeking generic linux help there. That is, just because you will find much more people with the same hardware using Ubuntu vs BTx.

Just burned his ISO

Default things i tried

s://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Feisty_No-Fluff[/url] did all steps and at step 2 i used 2d since it matched mine. it loaded my driver just fine. when i try the ifconfig wlan0 up, noticed that the wlan0 device is not setup so since i am not yet a good command line person i didnt know which process to use to set up the device. I also was able to get ndiswrapper 1.54 loaded (tar, make , make install, instead of the 1.52 in the doc but still no go. of course i know im missing something.
    it does not show up in my networkmanager either i did add a entry in the interfaces for wlan0 to match eth0 but used the wlan0 name
    the lshw -C network does show my card info
    the lspci -N does show my card
    i tried the chkconfig wlan on and even installed the chkconfig NO GO.

Just burned his ISO

i have even now tried this xxp://ww.broadcom.com /support/802.11/linux_sta.php
    and still dont have anything besides the etho. i also noticed i have the bcm4328 folder in the /proc/modules from bootup but it wouldnt load my 4328 broadcom nic N mini card
    details from the link below (all went good except the RMMOD commands they said not present)

BUILD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
    -----------------------------------

hybrid-portsrc.tar.gz
    hybrid-portsrc-x86_64.tar.gz

On the target machine, setup the source/hybrid/build directory

1. Create a new directory: mkdir hybrid_wl
    2. Go to that directory: cd hybrid_wl
    wget hxxp://ww.broadcom.com /docs/linux_sta/hybrid-portsrc-x86_32-v5_10_79_10.tar.gz
    3. Untar the appropriate 32/64 bit file
    to that directory
    32 bit: tar -xzf <path>/hybrid-portsrc.tar.gz
    64 bit: tar -xzf <path>/hybrid-portsrc-x86_64.tar.gz
    tar -xzf /root/hybrid_wl/hybrid-portsrc-x86_32-v5_10_79_10.tar.gz

After untar'ing you should have a src and lib sub directory plus a Linux
    2.6 "kbuild" external makefile (Makefile). The lib sub directory has the pre-built
    binary, wlc_hybrid.o_shipped.

You use the standard Linux 2.6 kernel build system as follows to make a Linux loadable
    kernel module (LKM):

On the target machine, and cd'ed to the directory that contains the Makefile (fragment)

4. Cleanup (optional): make -C /lib/modules/<2.6.xx.xx>/build M=`pwd` clean
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.28.1/build M=`pwd` needs to be ran in the hybrid_wl folder
    5. Build the LKM, i.e. wl.ko: make -C /lib/modules/<2.6.xx.xx>/build M=`pwd`

You should now have a LKM, wl.ko inside this directory.

On this or a machine with the same kernel version, install the driver.

1. Validate you don't have loaded (or built into the kernel) the Linux community provided
    driver for Broadcom hardware. This exists in two forms: either "bcm43xx" or a split form
    of "b43" plus "b43legacy". If these modules were loaded you would either
    a) rmmod bcm43xx or
    b) rmmod b43; rmmod b43legacy
    2. Make available 802.11 TKIP crypto module: modprobe ieee80211_crypt_tkip
    modprobe ieee80211_crypt_tkip
    3. Insert the Broadcom wl module: insmod <path>/wl.ko
    insmod /root/hybrid_wl/wl.ko

as xorred stated, you'd get much better help from the ubuntu forums as opposed to here

Quote Originally Posted by Rhuwme View Post
    as xorred stated, you'd get much better help from the ubuntu forums as opposed to here
    actually if you google search "Broadcom 4328 bt4" the first 3 results pretty much say your not gonna get it to work