Thread: nessusd NASL binary storage : dput failed - No space left on device

Question nessusd NASL binary storage : dput failed - No space left on device

I was seeking an answer to this issue. I believe I have searched the post exhaustively for a smiliar posting...if I have missed it, I apologize and would very much like to be directed to it.

Here is my issue.

I have Backtrack 3 installed on my 4g surf
    I installed Nessus. Set password, etc.
    Everything was fine till I tried to run: nessusd start
    I received the following error message:
    NASL binary storage : dput failed - No space left on device

same when I ran it with the "-R" switch

ran df i (results as follows)
    Filesystem Inodes Iused IFree IUse% Mounted on
    aufs 488640 238381 250259 49% /
    tmpfs 62767 25 62742 1% /tmp
    tmpfs 62767 5 62762 1% /var/tmp/

ran df -k (results as follows)
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    aufs 3842376 3842376 0 49% /
    tmpfs 251068 48 251020 1% /tmp
    tmpfs 251068 1264 249804 1% /var/tmp

ran du (results as follows)

I have heard a couple of approaches to similar problems but I really need to utilize this testing tool and need to make this work.

One approach was that the root dir was a ram disk and I needed to enlarge it.

Another approach was to make the swap partition larger.

Not real sure how to procede from here. It will be the first time that I've used nessus to check for vulnerabilities on a machine, yes I have permission, and I'm very excited to try it hands on. Now if I can only get it to run!

Thank you for any help you can offer.

What's unclear about the message?
    NASL binary storage : dput failed - No space left on device
    It filled whatever device it was trying to access. So you should go ahead with one of the fix approaches you've read about already. Not surprisingly after it failed and you checked disk usage it was back down to starting levels (Nessus was nice and cleaned up after itself).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Default although it may be obvious

I suppose an additonal question would be...how do I determine where nesus is placing the database?

And which of these two approaches would work best? or are they both a good solution.

I understand that questions that seem almost self evident should be answered by the poster and never even posted all, but with experience comes confidence in your solutions and at this level of inexperience I am looking those who are more experienced with this system/software th share a bit of their hard earned knowledge so that us noobs dont have to struggle through error. The solutions that I mentioned were gleamed from half answers of different yet similar questions on completly different topics and I wanted to ensure that I was on the right track.

Sorry to have bothered anyone.

The plugin feed/database should be in a subdirectory of your nessus install. Usually something like /opt/nessus/var/nessus
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Default tmpfs

found my best answer was to add the following line to myetc/fstab and have it write to ram, very fast and plenty of room:

tmpfs /opt/nessus/lib/nessus/plugins tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=0777 0 0

Now I'm having problems with the initial connection to localhost. I'm sure I've got the right username password. I will keep trying to figure that one out today.

Thanks for all the help.